• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspect "Luftwaffe" jacket and seller

Andrew

Come on someone stick something juicy onto a hook- I wanna hear the answer....... :roll:

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
Come on someone stick something juicy onto a hook- I wanna hear the answer....... :roll:

Well Andrew there are some members on the forum who dislike any critical comment on ebay auctions. They are entitled to their opinions, but I for one completely disagree on the basis that it is helpful to other members to point out the possible issues with a jacket or a seller, rather than a member getting stung!

As regard German jackets if one buys them as a 1940s German bike jacket, and there are still good ones not hyped as Luftewaffe jackets on Ebay, one will not be getting a "fake". I actually like the style of some German bike jackets. Just my opinion.

warguy

Name is Kevin and I was the winning bidder on this jacket. I am grateful and in-debted to those of you out there that alerted me to my mistake. I know I am deserving of the criticism, but thought I might offer that I have been collecting for about 25 years, and am fortunate to have amassed a rather large collection of nice original stuff. LW leather jackets are tough as I know you all know, because they were really not issued. I have been in the market for about a year and a half and this is only the second one I have bidded on. The first was a nice Hartmann style sold on ebay to History Preservation Associates about 9 months ago. Got a feeling he knows his stuff (He runs Eastman leather jackets and buys originals to copy his repro's from). Anyway, I am not all that gullible and this jacket got a lot of attention from others as well as a running up bid just $4.00 less than mine. Once again, I am very grateful to you all for alerting me, the seller has cancelled the transaction-was actually very responsible and polite about it-probably because he knows he got caught. I am open for any education you might offer on these-although the comment about anyone wanting a real one deserves a fake is not very encouraging. I did happen to see what appeared to be a nice Hartmann style sell about 8 months ago on Atalantic Crossroads. There was some discussion on the Wermacht Awards site on that jacket and it was felt it was real according to those threads. I have a very nice WWII A-2 grouping from a B-24 navigator in CBI with blood chit if anyone wants to discuss it. One of the only large groupings I have ever acquired direct from vet. Again-thanks guys! Kevin

warguy

John Lever, by the way you come highly recommended for one who might happen across a real luftwaffe jacket for sale on the German site. Would prefer a Hartmann style if you see one, perhaps you might send word. Thanks-Kevin

shanghai joe

warguy said:
Name is Kevin and I was the winning bidder on this jacket. I am grateful and in-debted to those of you out there that alerted me to my mistake. I know I am deserving of the criticism, but thought I might offer that I have been collecting for about 25 years, and am fortunate to have amassed a rather large collection of nice original stuff. LW leather jackets are tough as I know you all know, because they were really not issued. I have been in the market for about a year and a half and this is only the second one I have bidded on. The first was a nice Hartmann style sold on ebay to History Preservation Associates about 9 months ago. Got a feeling he knows his stuff (He runs Eastman leather jackets and buys originals to copy his repro's from). Anyway, I am not all that gullible and this jacket got a lot of attention from others as well as a running up bid just $4.00 less than mine. Once again, I am very grateful to you all for alerting me, the seller has cancelled the transaction-was actually very responsible and polite about it-probably because he knows he got caught. I am open for any education you might offer on these-although the comment about anyone wanting a real one deserves a fake is not very encouraging. I did happen to see what appeared to be a nice Hartmann style sell about 8 months ago on Atalantic Crossroads. There was some discussion on the Wermacht Awards site on that jacket and it was felt it was real according to those threads. I have a very nice WWII A-2 grouping from a B-24 navigator in CBI with blood chit if anyone wants to discuss it. One of the only large groupings I have ever acquired direct from vet. Again-thanks guys! Kevin

apparently the jkt you bidded on was sold by a forum member here but not misrepresented when he sold it!

warguy

Thanks again guys, havent participated in a chat site much, but looking forward to it. You guys were great once again!

Andrew

warguy said:
... the seller has cancelled the transaction-was actually very responsible and polite about it-probably because he knows he got caught.

Kevin, if I were in your shoes i'd go him with Ebay. He ought to be kicked out of it for that sort of thing. He's intentionally doctored an item and misrepresented it with the intent to extort money.

Don't give up, he really should be reported.

Hawkeye

Leadsky said:
warguy said:
... the seller has cancelled the transaction-was actually very responsible and polite about it-probably because he knows he got caught.

Kevin, if I were in your shoes i'd go him with Ebay. He ought to be kicked out of it for that sort of thing. He's intentionally doctored an item and misrepresented it with the intent to extort money.

I agree completely, especially since he sells a fairly large amount of claimed WW2 german jackets for very high prices. After this, the authenticity of any of his jackets is extremely suspect.

Roughwear

Hawkeye said:
Leadsky said:
warguy said:

I agree completely, especially since he sells a fairly large amount of claimed WW2 german jackets for very high prices. After this, the authenticity of any of his jackets is extremely suspect.

When I advertised the jacket it was done accurately and sold for under £200. This seller is as has been said dishonest and all his jackets are now suspect. He should be struck off Ebay. BTW welcome to the forum Warguy.

havocpaul

I think by mentioning in your original listing it being a possible Luftwaffe jacket flagged-up the buyer which set the ball rolling so to speak, I wouldn't trust any of these 'bike' jackets unless I saw it in the flesh and there was some substantial evidence to back up the claim; by listing these civilian bike style jackets in 'militaria' on eBay is running with the pack I'm afraid.

John Lever

I think the lesson here is most so called Luftwaffe Jackets are most probably not the real thing. As stated over and over very many are 1950's French and German motorcycle jackets. Occasionally a real peach comes along on a foreign language site [usually], listed simple as ' Leather motorcycle jacket'. There was a perfect Hartmann style jacket about 3 months ago listed as such. It sold for BIN £50. It was immaculate brown steer hide, the only minor fault was a missing buckle. I posted a link here, but because there was no mention of Luftwaffe, there was no interest at all.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
There was a perfect Hartmann style jacket about 3 months ago listed as such. It sold for BIN £50. It was immaculate brown steer hide, the only minor fault was a missing buckle. I posted a link here, but because there was no mention of Luftwaffe, there was no interest at all.

And to be fair, it was very small, with incomplete measurents. :)

John Lever

David, I resisted temptation to buy it to re-sell. It was a round a 38 ? The seller obviously had no idea of it's potential value.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
David, I resisted temptation to buy it to re-sell.

So don't resist, John, get stuck in.

Excellent side-line ...

flyfront.JPG