• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superb J. A. Dubow 27798 A2

Roughwear

chancerider said:
Good Lord...that thing looks brand new. Where has it been all it's life? Lovely.

I understand it was only worn lightly in the War then stored in a footlocker for the last 70 odd years.

herk115

Roughwear said:
The knits had a few small moth nips which I have repaired.

How do you repair moth holes in the knits? I use a clear-drying fabric glue or stitch them up by hand with needle and thread. Both methods work, but the repairs are clearly visible. Do you have a better method that allows a more invisible repair?

ausreenactor

I stitch from the inside if that makes any sense. Come in from the other side and grab the back of the defect, back through the hole and then draw it shut. Catch the 'low' of the knit and it is even harder to see. Work in the hollow of the cuff or knit and push the small needle back through a few times on that side of the knit and then draw under strain through to the outside and the snip the cotton. Cuff or knit spring back dragging the excess through to the inside.. Hard to explain....

devilish

Almost unbelievable. Truly a beautiful jacket. When looking at the photos of you wearing it, I was struck by the fact that it is the taper to the sleeves that JC gets on his repros that no one else manages that sets his apart. This superb original shows that detail in clear view. Sleeves are slim at the wrist not a one width tube all the way down.
As I have said before I continue to extremely jealous of your collection and your ability to sniff out all these superb originals.