• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superb J. A. Dubow 27798 A2

Roughwear

Thanks to a friend on VLJ I was able to obtain this really superb size 44 Dubow from the USA recently. The contract was awarded on 25th April 1942 and 50,000 were made. I have seen many from this contract, but this is by far the best preserved that I have owned. It has been in storage since the War and therefore has not be worn for house painting etc..!

It is 100% original and clearly was only worn lightly in the War. The horse hide is quite thick, very supple and has no issues at all. All the stitching is in tact. The M-41 Talon zip is just perfect. The only thing I have added to the jacket is the leather zip pull. The lining is in great condition with very minor wear at the neck.

There is no trace of an inspector's stamp on the lining, so this must have been one not plucked out for inspection in the factory. The knits had a few small moth nips which I have repaired.

As a size 44 it is bigger than the previous 44 I had from this contract and is almost the same size as my Eastman-restored size 46 Dubow.

Sadly there is no indication who was issued the jacket in the War. It has never had a name strip or any rank insignia applied to it.

The Dubow design is really smart and one of my favourites. I'm really pleased with fit too!

watchmanjimg

A magnificent example and it looks great on you. I really love this contract and wish it suited my build a little better. :evil:

derleicaman

Andrew, that is an amazing find and it fits you perfectly. Incredible that these are still to be found after all these years!

Looking at the detail images, I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a Good Wear creation. I have a GW Dubow 1755 and it is one of the best fitting and comfortable A-2s in my collection.

Well done, Andrew!

CBI

congrats on a "as good as it gets" purchase. you must be really happy!!!!!

dmar836

That's just nuts! You could be issued that in '43 or '44 and it would be no different.
We have to be honest and say few of us have seen such an original example that is so likely "as it really was" back then. Money well spent that we all benefit from.
Thanks for sharing!
Dave

dmar836

ausreenactor said:
dmar836 said:
You could be issued that in '43 or '44 and it would be no different.

Dave

Apart from being brand new with no wear or character..?

What I meant was that there are are many period pics with cadets wearing their newly issued A-2a with pronounced grain yet little wear. I think this one has character not necessarily due to age or use but that it had from the beginning. Wish I had a bundle of hides like that.

Dave