• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Score today / F-2, Z-2, CWU-1P, Flight Suits / Minty!!

a2jacketpatches

All this stuff was on a table this morning at the swap meet and what I grabbed was just the USN trousers and headed home. Then I immediately GOOGLED F-2 Flight Suit, peed myself, and jumped back in the truck. Everything was still there, so for ten bucks a piece I grabbed all the black label flight suits and a few other doo dads.

The Navy trousers rang a bell because I found a jacket very similar many years ago, very tight corduroy material with a waterproofing material within that made crackling noise when moved around. I sold the jacket to a guy at the Lowell, MA VA swap meet for 80 bucks. About a week later I found it on Ebay, it grew a squadron patch and was at 1800- with plenty of time left. Any info on it would be greatly appreciated.

From a quick research on my finds today, The F-1's are worth about 450- well used with the cords removed. Check out the AAF roundel stamp on the shoulder, they are stamped within as well and both are in mint unissued condition. And the Z-2's are about a hundred a piece used, these are all minty as well.

leper-colony

Re: Super Score today / F-2, Z-2, CWU-1P, Flight Suits / Min

Nice bunny suits!

There was a stash that surfaced in the 90's but it seemed many were mothed to some extent.

a2jacketpatches

leper-colony said:
Nice bunny suits!

There was a stash that surfaced in the 90's but it seemed many were mothed to some extent.

One seems to have a little fading but I'm not really sure it is. Otherwise stone mint flawless, no staining inside or out, no mothing at all, doesn't even look like the plugs were ever plugged.

dmar836

$450. Wow, Really? Last F-1/E-1(12v/24v) I watched sold for $200 or so. The F-2 was the outer-wear version and that one IS hard to find. I can pretty much be assured the "wiring being removed" was from the F-2 and not the F-1/E-1. My F-2 has the wiring in the trousers but not in the jacket. Doing the same to the F-1/E-1 suit would have been a waste and ruin the suite.
Wanna sell an extra F-1?
Dave

leper-colony

Oh, I found the knits to be fragile on mine, don't tug on them too much.

a2jacketpatches

dmar836 said:
$450. Wow, Really? Last F-1/E-1(12v/24v) I watched sold for $200 or so. The F-2 was the outer-wear version and that one IS hard to find. I can pretty much be assured the "wiring being removed" was from the F-2 and not the F-1/E-1. My F-2 has the wiring in the trousers but not in the jacket. Doing the same to the F-1/E-1 suit would have been a waste and ruin the suite.
Wanna sell an extra F-1?
Dave
Here's the one I found complete with cords, it appears to be in great shape but there's not much of a description. Can't find the other with removed wiring that popped up in my completed listings search for some reason. I just assumed like many other vintage military items that some civilian pulled them off because they kept wrapping around his snow shovel or something. Whatever the case is with it, it looked exactly the same but without the cords, and in well used condition for 450-. The seller photograped the areas where the boxes were attached showing two rivet marks and color difference. I believe the knits were frayed a bit and it had a few tears inside that were photographed. Also had a better description telling that it was in rough shape. In any event, both of mine are mint F-1's for sure as per the label and the fact that they are identical to all that I've researched today.

And the knits on these aren't fragile at all, I did give them a little tug, then a little harder, and a little harder, being sure not to pull too hard each time. Solid as a rock and the bottom line is that these two are as good as the day they were made. I will be listing the one that looks to be a little faded soon so i wanted to be confident describing as outstanding condition.

Just looked up the F-2 Dave because I'm not familiar with it, clearly a different animal and the one I found earlier was most certainly an F-1 with wiring removed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=F1+ ... 1&_ipg=200

dmar836

Interesting. I could see the F-2 being stripped and worn but I suppose one could use the F-1/E-1 as thermal underwear or something. Good stuff!
Keep us informed.
Dave

dujardin

good catch

you were the right man at the right place , at the right moment ;)

a2jacketpatches

dujardin said:
good catch

you were the right man at the right place , at the right moment ;)

Actually, as we say in the U.S. A day late and a dollar short. But I dug into my rent money for this lot. Good thing is that there's no real military enthusiasts here, just pickers that recognize WW2 olive drab and buy it over anything else. Anything nylon, darker green, or blue seems modern to them and they pass it up. From what I hear, lots of WW2 stuff I missed last Sunday.

TankBuster

Very nice score indeed. You got yourself a great deal. I have always wanted to add a Blue Bunny suit to the flight gear collection.

Phantomfixer

Ditto on wanting the F-1 blue bunny suit...nothing screams WWII AAF in Europe on bombers than the blue bunny suit! A lot of pics were posed with A-2s and other gear...Usually when aircrew are seen with the F-1 it is usually a legit candid shot....
Nice score!!!

a2jacketpatches

I've probably photos over and over again but didn't know what the heck they were til I got home and googled F-1. Forgot my Iphone or I would have done so right then and there. As i said my prayer all the way back to the swap meet, I also swore I'd never forget the Iphone again. I believe she still has some unopened boxes so I'll be there bright and early this Saturday. Be nice to find a box full at 10 bucks a pop, she has multiples of many things so anything is possible.

Here's a link to the auction in case anyone is interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

Peter Graham

What a great haul. Well done. Everything looks to be in fantastic condition. Never in a million years would anything like that surface in the UK.

a2jacketpatches

Phantomfixer said:
gonna be a nice return for you...
Already passed certain expectations within 48 hours of listing. The F-1 suit is a super rare bird, I could only find 3 that were for sale but are long gone. Been searching all week for them.

Phantomfixer

for such a rare bird, I wonder why no one has a repop of them...functional or not...without the wiring seems like a straight forward task....

congrats on the sale

a2jacketpatches

Phantomfixer said:
for such a rare bird, I wonder why no one has a repop of them...functional or not...without the wiring seems like a straight forward task....

congrats on the sale

While researching these over the past week, i found a guy on USMF talking about that. There's boots and gloves you have to think about as well and I'm thinking they're even harder to come by. Probably a very expensive idea.

With the sale of this at 513- The other is really in mint condition and probably a bargain at 600-