• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange question

Whatsit

hi All
I have a strange question. Do any of you put things in your jacket’s pockets that a wwii pilot may of had in theirs? And if so what? I thought it might be kind of fun. I currently have a 1942 dime and a bullet. I’m going to buy an old zippo and put that in there to. Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions of what to put in the pocket

Brettafett

Actually, now that you mention it... I have a couple of those small dehumidifier sachets in my pockets. I know thats not really what you are referring too, but anyway.
An escape whistle is a fun compliment to an A-2.

Whatsit

Thanks. I have an old acme thunderer whistle I thought about putting in there. Thanks. Those packets make sense too. Thanks Brett

Brettafett

It was often attached on the throat hook... Somewhere readily available, especially if one had to ditch and was hanging onto something.
_8725279_orig.jpg 3695534_orig.jpg 7795410_orig.jpg
My mobile goes into my pocket, but does not fit very well. Wallet fits better.

jeremiah

I need to get a nice whistle one day. I have one, but its not an acme with the stamping on the side, but it is a British police whistle of similar design.

Brettafett

I had a little Swiss Army knife classic that was supposed to live in one of my flight jacket's pockets, but I lost it. I should have put it in there sooner.

Stony

Since the original question says "jacket" and not "A-2", navy jackets have that huge inside pocket that I can get my check book, wallet and cell phone into and still have more room.

On a more "on point" answer, I have dice and a 42' dated .45 bullet for zipper pulls. Another item you might want to put in your pocket that was popular is a woman's hankie. They were usually given to the pilot/soldier from their mother, wife or girlfriend for good luck. On occasion, I have found hankies in the pockets of WWII clothing that in some cases has been there since the war.

Cocker

Well, I usually have a pack of cigarettes, a Zippo model 1941 and a small pocket comb in my A-2. I guess this could have been in any WW2 flight jacket pocket!

dmar836

Not typically unless it’s something I actually use. I would likely forget and go through security while traveling.
Dave

johnwayne

I recall one member here (Cobblers I think?) selling an A2 that he'd obviously worked on to define a Zippo outline on the left hand pocket, maybe based on an original or pic he'd seen! Me, I purposely prefer a smaller wallet so it fits my A2's and back pocket of jeans but my phone is too big!! I've often wondered why there never was at least one inside pocket and prob why some back then utilised blood chits as inner pockets. Does ELC still offer the 'elite unit' A2 with inner pockets(?), I think it was the first 'elite' type they did.

Whatsit

I have an iPhone plus that’s pretty big, but I have no problem putting it in my front pants pocket. Just a suggestion. I always put my wallet in my back pants pocket.

blackrat2

Zippo for me and yes Cobblers did the same, no need to work on the leather though, pop your lighter in and it will find it’s own way of sitting inside the pocket, before you know it the Leather shapes around it