• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stitch holes from velcro removal

flightmac

Now that the Reserve retired me, I am planning on customizing my A-2 issued in the '90's. I am planning on filling in the stitch holes where I removed velcro. My idea is to use a syringe and glue mixed with dye. I only hope to make them less noticeable. Any every did/heard of anything like this or have any other ideas/comments? Thanks.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hello Mac .... I just leave the velcro, but yes, that should work, Barge Cement is the usual forum recommended adhesive.

You can also try partially closing the holes, by wetting, and then tapping flat with a hammer.

flightmac

Thanks for your inputs. I believe I will proceed with caution, as I originally planned. I seem to remember Barge cement is rather thick (and very yellow). One friend who has worked with leather suggested Weld Wood glue because it's similar to working with plain white glue, but much stronger and water resistant after drying. I also picked up some "Tanner's Bond" from Tandy Leather Factory. Again, I plan on dyeing the glue. First I'll try a dot on some scrap leather to get the color as close as possible. If I inject a small amount just below the surface, the worse should be a brownish dimple that should be less noticeable than a hole. I've done precision work before as an aircraft mechanic at a depot. I've also attended an Air Force High Reliability ("NASA standard") soldering course when I was in electronics (working under a magnifying glass on miniature circuits). I'll try to post some pictures as I go along.

A

Anonymous

I would try what Dave recomendeds first, wetting and then a hammer. Will shrink the holes, but once leather has them, (Sew Holes) they are for keeps. I would leave the velcro-gives your jacket the "Been there" look IMHO.

Jason

flightmac said:
...High Reliability ("NASA standard") soldering course when I was in electronics (working under a magnifying glass on miniature circuits).

I can appreciate that (I work on modern SMD boards) - be confident in your abilities with this experience and give it a try. Perhaps try the technique on a scrap bit of leather first for some practical experience.

Roughwear

I have tried all the suggested solutions for removing stitch holes with partial success. However on original A2s I would leave them as they are part of the jacket's history. You might consider covering the chest ones with a squadron patch or name tag.