• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steerhide revelations impact on viability of high end repros

Roughwear

Re: steerhide revelations impact on viability of high end re

Looks like we both found this post at much the same time Jeff!

John Lever

It looks like a very attractive business opportunity for repro makers to do specific maker jackets in cow hide.
Looks like the market is certainly there !

Jeff M

John Lever said:
It looks like a very attractive business opportunity for repro makers to do specific maker jackets in cow hide.
Looks like the market is certainly there !

Exactly!!
(Oh great. More temptation. :lol: )

Roughwear

I think Gary is due a £1000 from Punchthemonkeys if you read this old post. ;)

I'm talking about documented HH jackets here-most of the makers and reference books I've thumbed through (again, NOT an expert) claim that goat and HH were the only hides used. If steerhide was used (and there's NO reason why it couldn't be)I'm just saying, "Here's a 1000 pounds for you to prove it." Nothing more. IT's not my offer, and I thought it might be of interest to those here. I'm not making any stand other than to say that. If steerhide was used....then I say-prove it and get a 1000 pounds.

Vcruiser

Roughwear said:
I think Gary is due a £1000 from Punchthemonkeys if you read this old post. ;)

I'm talking about documented HH jackets here-most of the makers and reference books I've thumbed through (again, NOT an expert) claim that goat and HH were the only hides used. If steerhide was used (and there's NO reason why it couldn't be)I'm just saying, "Here's a 1000 pounds for you to prove it." Nothing more. IT's not my offer, and I thought it might be of interest to those here. I'm not making any stand other than to say that. If steerhide was used....then I say-prove it and get a 1000 pounds.

Well..he is the owner of this forum so I'm sure he'll see your post...but it was someone elses offer.

Chandler

B-Man2 said:
Isn't that a good enough reason to re-examine this issue?

Oh, no doubt, but the impression should not be that this is some new revelation -- it's been brought up in the past, now there is just some pretty solid proof that some of those A-2s you see in the old pics just might be cowhide. And why not? It's a very viable source of leather now, why not then?

The only thing that makes me grin is the head slapping that must be going on with all the horsehide elitists out there! :D

Jeff M

Deleted.
Duplicated what has already been said...which was something that had already been said already. :lol:

Vcruiser

If I recall correctly..'if anyone could *prove* that they have in their possession an actual steerhide authentic WW2 A2..then the 1000 pounds would be paid on the spot by a certain individual who claims to be a hide expert'. The key word is of course: prove.
Van

Vcruiser

I don't know what is in the ELC book. However...a document in Eastman's possession was copied and posted on one of the forums years ago. As yet,though..I am unaware of anyone collecting the money offered for presentation of even one made of steerhide. I'm pretty sure the offer still stands.

Andrew

B-Man2 said:
TankBuster said:
TOMG1401 said:
When John first began Goodwear, he offered some really beautiful Cowhides, exceptional. They are no longer offered on the website, now I wonder if he will re-introduce cow/steer ?????

I am fortunate enough to have one of these. I love the jacket!

Any chance of you posting a few pictures of the jacket?

Here's mine, sz 46 United Sheeplined in Bonanza Mesa Cowhide. All artwork painted by a Vet of 449BG.

small.jpg

B-Man2

Now that's impressive . That looks like an original for sure.
So .......what's so bad about leather ;)

TOMG1401

I would order a couple of A-2's in a heartbeat in that hide. I am coming to the conclusion the look we have been trying to acheive with horse may actually been steer, not just different chemicals no longer legal today in the tanning process, that jacket has that "LOOK"
A few years back Charles at HPA called my office and asked if I wanted in a special run he was having ELC make, The STAR A-2 in a beautiful light seal/dark russet cowhide lot of grain. I regret I passed.

B-Man2

Does anyone have any additional reproduction Goodwear's, Eastman's or Aero's in leather?
Post 'em if you've got 'em.

Steve27752

B-Man2 said:
SteveM422a said:
B-Man2 said:
It certainly would make it easier to acquire steerhide than horsehide for repro manufacturing purposes.

But I find this new revelation a little depressing to think that horsehide, the "Holy Grail" of A2's, may be on equal or less than equal footing with steerhide when discussing WWII era A2 manufacturing and production.
A little like finding out about Santa Claus :(

I bet there's a bunch of original A2 owners that have got their jackets layed out next to a horsehide repro right now doing some intense comparative analysis work.

What about it Andrew? ;)

These are not 'new' revelations we had this discussion about 10 years ago. These so called revelations are often just re-discovered information.

I'm not sure what discussion your talking about because I wasn't a member of this forum 10 years ago.........but then again.........neither were you :eek:

Yes we were, it was a yahoo group then. And yes we did discuss it. But there is no harm in re visiting the subject and getting fresh opinions.

B-Man2

B-Man2 said:
Yes we were, it was a yahoo group then. And yes we did discuss it. But there is no harm in re visiting the subject and getting fresh opinions.

My apologies...I stand corrected :oops:

Marv

B-Man2 said:
Does anyone have any additional reproduction Goodwear's, Eastman's or Aero's in leather?
Post 'em if you've got 'em.

Here a few old photos of my ELC Pearl Harbor A2 in steerhide.........

f62bea95.jpg

87c404a4.jpg

f17704ec.jpg

7d6e6b91.jpg

eb3e939c.jpg

8f4d2695.jpg

939c9e8f.jpg

Not great pics but there you go.........

Robman

I think the use of cow was acceptable obviously but that doesn't mean for example that all Aero A2s were cowhide. They just made them out of whatever they could get. So no fears if you have a horsehide repro Aero, Monarch or whatever it would still be authentic.

It does however offer a more affordable alternative for authentic reproductions.

deand

Robman said:
It does however offer a more affordable alternative for authentic reproductions.

Was wondering if anyone else was thinking this. Great to think that an authentic repro could be had with out spending virtually as much as some originals.

dean

Chandler

B-Man2 said:

Why has "leather" become synonymous with cow or steerhide? Leather is all-encompasing to any hide that is tanned for garment use -- goat, horse, deer, sheep. Let's not perpetuate an odd distinction with the word.

Leather is a durable and flexible material created by the tanning of animal rawhide and skin, often cattle hide. It can be produced through manufacturing processes ranging from cottage industry to heavy industry.

CBI

I owned a GW Dubow in cow that was really nice.

Sorry, all of the is much ado about nothing. We all knew/know cow was used regularly and that horse and cow (and goat) are all viable repro options. Unless we know 100% that a certain contract was only one type of hide, there are no worries and no needed hand ringing. A cool looking repro looks cool regardless.

It is nice to know for folks involved in the hobby that cow might have been used more regularly. As stated earlier, companies took whatever they could get via government supplies.