• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Sportswear G-1

sobrien

In my journey for a flight jacket like my dad's i have bought a few that didn't fit or were of poor quality. I originally had a Flight Apparel Industries G-1 that was a gift in the 80's. It was a 40L and didn't fit for very long. So i found a Star Sportswear G-1 on Ebay that looked great but didn't fit so I gave it to one of my sons. It did not have a normal USN issue tag and it looks like a pre 7823 jacket. Does anyone have any idea when it was made? It has a wonderful collar and patina. The waistband is original, however the cuffs appear to be non original.
Here's some pics.
First the tag;

sobrien

No response? Any ideas if it's a civilian jacket or re-tagged military issue? Is it from the 40's or 50's?

Last edited:

jschare

What kind of zipper pull does it have? Does it have anything stamped in the windflap or markings under the collar? With that label, I'd lean toward a civi.

Roughwear

It looks like an early 1950s jacket and was most likely an over run from one of their military two contracts in 1950 and 1951 and hence sold on the civilian market perhaps when the Korean War had ended.

Last edited:

sobrien

It has the Conmar zipper. Someone else has identified it as a pretty definite over run sold in the civilian market. Everything about it is military spec except for the label. It is essentially a Star 55J14. That's fine with me, its a great jacket. Good news is that my son might give it back to me. He never wears it and I've lost weight and it fits me now.

sobrien

It is beautiful dark goatskin. I do have the jacket back, however my first time wearing it the zipper broke. I need a new/old Conmar zipper. MASH is out of the one I need though. Still looking though. My goal is to at one point get an H&L Block M422a. It was the jacket my dad was issued in 1945.

robrinay

Byson leather in the UKmade extensive repairs to the jacket and replaced the Conmar zipper on my Star G1 - 55J14 with one of their nos Conmars - correct zipper but nickel not blackened nickel but thanks to advice on this forum on how to replace a puller I put my old blackened one on the tape - when it came back- perfect. check them out
http://www.bysonleather.co.uk