• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squirrel patches of WW2

atkins

Gentlemen.

Is there a squadron patch using squirrel or other furry mammal as their mascot? The best i can find is the beaver of yuma airfield ( if i'm not mistaken).

Thanks in advance,

Atkins

NickP976

This is the patch for the 2nd Photo Mapping Squadron.

photomapping003.jpg

NickP976

Sorry the picture was upside down. This came as a spare with an A2 that belonged to a photographer in the unit.

photomapping004.jpg

atkins

Wow... thanks a lot Nick. Airbrush i presume? What year is it used? I'll do my research also, later. Thanks again

Regards,
\Atkins

NickP976

No the patch is done by hand and is WW2.It is the same as the one on my original A2. I have a number of original picture of this image in theatre ie the Pacific. Can post some if you are interested.

regards Nick

jeroen

What a cool patch! Just this know-it-all-little-bit-of-info. This patch was actually done by silkscreen. The telltale sign being the really sharp corners on all edges and the different colors being printed just a little bit out of place leaving a white edge between them in some places. Quite a few period patches get mistaken for handpainted where in fact they where printed imo.

atkins

jeroen said:
What a cool patch! Just this know-it-all-little-bit-of-info. This patch was actually done by silkscreen. The telltale sign being the really sharp corners on all edges and the different colors being printed just a little bit out of place leaving a white edge between them in some places. Quite a few period patches get mistaken for handpainted where in fact they where printed imo.

Thanks for the info Jeroen.

NickP976

Many thanks for the explanation it makes sense that it is screen printed. The leather is quite thin about 1mm and very flexible. Here are some pictures of Alfred Winterton.

photomapping005.jpg

photomapping006.jpg

photomapping007.jpg

Django

NickP976 said:
Many thanks for the explanation it makes sense that it is screen printed. The leather is quite thin about 1mm and very flexible. Here are some pictures of Alfred Winterton.

Any more pics you can share? :cool:

EMBLEMHUNTER

in the Jeff Millstien USMC WW2 patch book there is a squirrel design for MOTG-81 which was a training unit for USMC B-25's /PBJ's , the design is a cartoon Squirrel on a cloud with wings and he's chewing on a "bomb" (nut)there is a small tag with string at bottom right of cloud with "OSTB" on it.
You would like this one too.
Also the 125th Liaison Squadron has a Squirrel in tux and top hat/cane with a hand of cards.