• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squadron Coffee Cups

Maverickson

I recall a time spent in the ready room while aboard ship visiting with my Father. I was amazed while looking at all the Naval Aviators in their " Get Up " which included flight suit and jacket. In one of their hands one could usually find a coffee cup. This is a photo of a cup from Father's first squadron VA-55 depicting a Skyraider. Each aviator upon joining the squadron was issued squadron patches and a cup.

VA-55Mug-1.jpg

Any more out there?

Grant

Yep. I've posted this before. Here's my dad's mug when he was with the 51st in 1952. I always thought the F-86 was right up there with the Spitfire when it came to beauty.

mugback.jpg

mugfront.jpg

Lignemaginot

I wonder if this is something they did before WWII, or only afterwards - the Germans were big on mugs with squadron info, and its' entirely possible that the US would have picked up the habit during occupation.

TankBuster

From what I've seen, it started immediately after WWII. There were alot of mugs, and steins made in postwar Germany. The coffe mugs were pretty popular during Korea and after. I have yet to find a actual WWII wartime mug or stein.

Andrew

Wow, those two mugs must be priceless to you both. I wonder if these were all made in the same town/ factory in Japan? The mug shapes and hand made artwork and glazes are really beautiful. And, the Sabre is indeed one of the most beautiful aircraft made. That is a very cool mug.

This is one for 77 Sqn RAAF, who for a time operated as part of the 4th Fighter-Interceptor Wing USAF amongst others. Due to many reasons we missed the Sabre for Korea and instead flew Meteors after the switch from Mustangs. We lost many Pilots flying them. Grant, I wonder if your Dad knew any of these guys. We later built a licensed version, the CAC Sabre.

No personal connection here but I love it and these items must be quite rare by now. It's larger than a standard coffee mug and about the size of a small beerstein (I suspect that's what they were really used for).

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

Burnsie

Here are my Dad's Navy Mugs (I have 3, my siblings have a few more between them - The mugs span 15-20 yrs. give or take):
DadsNavyMugs.jpg

BlueBolts.jpg

Gladiators.jpg

Hornets.jpg

And the back of the Blue Bolts mug (they all have this image but this one has his nickname too):
FlashMug.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

Good places to find these cups/mugs/stiens are antique shops/militaria shops/flea markets that have "collectables" and of course E bay.
A good friend of mine has a fairly good collection of them,he's not a computer fan so I can't post them but he has some nice ones !!

oose

Hi all,
Just picked up this Korean era Japanese made 95th BS mug and thought I'd resurrect an old thread. Hey Peter did you manage to get one in the end? Anyone else got any to post, I've seen a few lurking in cabinet in other post, it would be nice to have a few more posted here.

All the best
Stu

bebel

Beautiful mugs. Thank you for sharing.
Here are some which were belonging to an USN Phantom RIO. He has flown more than 100 missions over Noth Vietnam in 1965. He was then a test RIO by McDonnell and his wife Nancy was also working in the company. So they have both their own mug.

I like particulary this kind of humour.
rlr061.jpg

mug007.jpg

mug002.jpg
mug003.jpg

mug001.jpg
mug004.jpg

rlr035.jpg

oose

Thanks for posting those bebel, they look great, love the his and hers! :)
Here are a few more Korea era ones from the web...wish they were in my collection!

7th FIS 49th Fighter Group

12th FBS

25th FIS 51st Fighter Wing

36th FBS 8th Fighter Bomber Wing

84th T.C. SQ

37th Bomb Squadron

and one more 95th Bomb Squadron

All the best
stu

oose

Just in case you need display ideas! VMA 324 Squadron in 1958.

or maybe this....

VF-14

All the best
stu

unclegrumpy

I used to own that exact mug from the 12th FBS. The fellow had one made for his wife, and each of his kids...somehow I don't think they thought they were as neat back then as we do today. As a matter of fact, his kids did not think much of them today either, because these mugs came out of a "junk box" at a yard sale.

bebel

Stu,
Thank you for the photos. We could find some of these on Ebay sometimes. But are they always authentic or copies?

Franck

oose

Hi all,
Franck
bebel said:
Thank you for the photos. We could find some of these on Ebay sometimes. But are they always authentic or copies?
That I'm not always sure about they are defiantly priced high on some of the military dealer sites, some over $200, so were there is money the fakes will follow. Mine originally came from yard sale in Austin Texas for a few dollars and then I paid $19.99, over the net, so not worth faking at that price! They did seem to knock out a lot of them and I'm sure most military personnel picked one up on the way home.

Couple more...
319th FIS

20th AF/ 5th AF

All the best
stu

unclegrumpy

bebel said:
We could find some of these on Ebay sometimes. But are they always authentic or copies?

Franck

I think Korean War era mugs are pretty easy to tell if the are original or not. Some of the mugs into the 1960's can get tough, because they are pretty much the same as the guys can buy today. Mugs are not as popular as they once were, but there are still companies making them. That means there can be mugs that are "authentic", but not that old.

bebel

Some pilots mugs from the 23d TFS/36th TFW at Bitburg, Germany, 60's when they flew F-105.

mug001.jpg

mug002.jpg

mug003.jpg

mug004.jpg

oose

I've been looking for images of mugs used in action! :D and found this nice shot...same design as mine with the lady handle.

sorry my other images got deleted, I had a problem with imageshack, I try and upload them again soon.

Love the mugs Franck, they look well used before those cold morning sorties.

All the best
stu

oose

Hi all,
I managed to pick up another bargain mug this time a 7th FBS flying F-84 fighter bombers. I love the F-84 on this one, it needs a little cleaning but I really pleased with it.

All the best
Stu