• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squadron baseball cap

CBI

they were all private purchase. I used to own about 100 different caps from USN, USMC squadrons. They were cool but after you acquire that many, they begin to all look like baseball caps with plain different letters/numbers on them and that's all. Very few had artwork. These were pretty standard wear on the flight line as I remember. Perhaps the trick is to not own more than one would ever wear in a lifetime!

bebel

None from all mine nor from all I could see have an official tag. All are from civilian fabrics. But some had patches or artwork. For me, one interest is depending upon the units history or the own caps story.

This VF-101 cap and the mug were belonging to the same F-4 RIO in 1961.

Franck

deand

Now that cap would make a great repro project. Have to keep an eye out for great vinatge red wool six panel. ;)

dean

TankBuster

dmar836 said:
Bebel and CBI,
Any of the grommets in these caps metal or are they all stitched?
Dave

Dave,

I probably haven't seen as many as Bebel, but I have seen about a dozen real ones and the grommets were all stitched.

dmar836

Thanks Jeff, that's what it appears to me too. ELCs squadron cap is way off even from the authentic example they compare to. Grommets, stitching, label, even parts of the pattern or at least construction appear to be the way ELC wants it rather than how the original was done. Anyway, enough ragging on them.

So would any members in the US have an example of one of the USN/USMC WWII caps or a later Japanese made squadron cap that could be loaned for a pattern?

Dave

All great examples shown here, I am a bit jealous. Unfortunately for the Navy, ball caps are going away. The squadrons still sell them, you get your first one free, but no one wears them anymore since we have changed to the new blue digital camouflage uniform, which I despise. You can still wear them with your flight suit, but they are harder to put in your flight suit pocket than the garrison cover.

As far as I know, ball caps have always been a private purchase. Commands will buy them for the sailors, but they are always from a supplier out in town. No government contracts for them. The Navy does however have regulations on what can be embroidered on them.

Thanks for posting these great pictures.

bebel

Thank you for these interesting informations.

Dave,
Sorry for the delay. Mine have both metal and stitched grommets. From my collection, all these with metallic grommets are from USAF. Two caps have not any grommet (local tailored for the USAF 13th BS cap and one of the USN VF-84)
Franck

The last one I recently picked up (138th FIS - New York ANG).

bebel

Dave, it's my pleasure. Note on the last photo the metallic grommets both on the 46th and 138th FIS caps whereas these from the 331st FIS are stitched.
The 138th FIS cap is coming from Flying Tigers Antiques Historical.
Franck

DiamondDave

Gents,

Here is a first effort from Diamond Cap Co. The styling is a little more late 40's or even early 50's baseball.. but I think it looks pretty decent. I am contracting these out with a US company, and finishing in-house since the company has no experience with leather sweatbands and the like. These will be on offer soon if I can work out the logistics. I also note that they did not use the black twill tape (as requested) on the inside of the cap, but that is a small and easy fix.

Side Note: I was pleasantly surprised when they told me that they used actual "Goat Hair Buckram" just like many original caps of the day. This is almost unheard of these days, and makes me wonder where they even get it!!

Ciao for now,

DD

39th3-4view.jpg

39thSide.jpg

39thTopBK.jpg

39thTopFR.jpg

39th3-4HD.jpg

Last but not least, I "borrowed" the image of the original cap, from the ELC website and added my version to it....

Original:
39thORG.jpg

Now Mine:
39th.jpg

DiamondDave

Fellas,

Are we all in for the 39th FS? I had thought perhaps of doing a couple of different ones per year, or they can be made plain... what do you guys think?

DD