• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spearhead Militaria woollen 'A-1' (Large)

Dr H

Here is the information on the Spearhead Militaria woollen 'A-1' (not sure what the correct designation is) - recently received and excellent value for money.

A 'letterman/college' collar, five buttons, two snaps and a two-piece back (not correct for the original), three-piece, raw edged/triple stitched sleeve.

The basic dimensions (Large) are:
Pit to pit 23"
Sleeves 25"
Shoulders 19"
Yoke 19.5"
Front length 22.5"
Back length 25"

An odd quirk (showing that the machinist hasn't handled an A-1) - the pencil pocket is stitched on the shell, but doesn't go through to lining, making it cosmetic. I'm going to remove the stitching anyway as it doesn't appear on originals. I've given some feedback and this won't appear on the next run.

IMG_0954_zps1d3d8105.jpg

IMG_0956_zpsdaafa0f9.jpg

IMG_0955_zps65282676.jpg

IMG_0957_zps52e7116a.jpg

IMG_0958_zpsc915b4f9.jpg

IMG_0959_zps85030e1e.jpg

IMG_0960_zps570bd265.jpg

IMG_0973_zps05d255cf.jpg

IMG_0974_zpsb4fcc9f0.jpg

Very warm and comfortable and a smart alternative for work in the cooler weather.

Here's a trio of 1920s/1930s styled buttoned jackets for comparison (different weights for spring/summer, autumn (fall)/winter.

IMG_0972_zps9b98105d.jpg

CBI

I have one of these and will post pics as well. Its a great jacket and considering the price - a must purchase - one can't go wrong!!!!

Dr H

They've just released a 'Thunderbird' type jacket (woollen body/leather sleeves) too.
I've seen images but no prices.

John Lever

Ian shared this jacket with me in the pub last night. It looks very well made of quite thick wool that reminds me of alpine Loden coats, almost felt like rather than woven. Though tagged a 46 it fits my size 42 frame very well.
Wonder what the leather A-1 is like ?

Skip

Looks very comfortable on you Ian, nice to have a different colour too. What's the leather jacket of your trio on the right, one with the leather sleeves?

Dr H

Hi Matt
It is a comfortable jacket, but it's more like a vintage size. I exchanged the L for an XL (which fits like a GW 46/ELC 44).
Some room for layering - it's an autumn/winter weight (very warm).
From L to R in the photo: ELC .50 cal A-1, Spearhead 'A-1', LVC Menlo Cossack (washed goatskin).

The Menlo is my favourite - feels light and supple in use (looks 80+ years old).

CBI

I am a 44 reg (maybe 43 now), the jacket is true to size (well slightly larger) but I was able to shrink it down about a quarter size so the fit is really nice now,

Peter Graham

jzist said:
Digging the jacket the wool has kinda WWI look to it....

I agree. Very vintage looking. Is it wool though, or a blend that may well go a bit odd and bally with some wear ?