• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spearhead Militaria A-2

dmar836

Wow. I'd be afraid to drive it. If not for fear of a collision, for fear of getting dirt underneath! Purdy!

Dave

Jaguar46

Is this the same jacket here on the Bay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A2-A-2-Reproduc ... 3cc3d0dda0

rrackleyadams said:
This is my first post...amazing content, conversations and pictures here...really excited to have found this site. I just bought a HH A-2 on eBay...always wanted one and bought a size 46 from Spearhead Militaria in their russet (really more Havana). I have read a great deal since and have been amazed at the information, sites, etc...already eyeing a Kelso or Aero. Rough Wear would be nice, but rough budget makes that tough!

The Spearhead is OK...the fit is amazing, but the color of the leather is odd, and it is completely rubbing off in the friction/folds. Please check it out...from what I read this HH is spray dyed and is completely coming off (and this is after 1 week of wearing). Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg

A

Anonymous

No I don't think it's THE jacket that started the thread , but if you look at the pocket flap after three weeks I see more wear than usual around the high spots.

A

Anonymous

I e-mailed Barry at Spearhead, about the dye problem. That several owners are pissed off. I will see if he responds.

m444uk

chitchat said:
I e-mailed Barry at Spearhead, about the dye problem. That several owners are pissed off. I will see if he responds.

Is this Barry guy English operating out of HK ?

That is indeed me selling the jacket. The fit is terrific...I just don't care for the dye/finish. Upon more research than I care to admit I came to the conclusion that the dye job is not for me...I want a jacket I can break in over years of use, and I wasn't convinced this could do it. It's just coming off in a way that is very unauthentic. I think the cut, stitching, epaulettes, etc are well done as a hybrid A-2...the dye job is killing the coat for me. The Seal may be a different story.

I should also add...I bought a slightly used Aero Size 46 on eBay...oil pull seal HH...WOW. Olive drab stitching, amazing leather, well dyed!, better fit for me in chest, sleeve cut, etc. The wind flap is 23" (vs 24" on the Spearhead)...dimensions slightly different but I just love it. Paid ~$400 for each...in the end the money was much better spent on the used Aero than the Spearhead (which was also used...albeit by about 1 day...I bought from another eBayer).

dmar836 said:
If you don't show those worn areas, a buyer might be really upset once they receive it.
JMO,
Dave

Thanks Dave...duly noted and updated accordingly. I added the closeup of the collar and noted the contrast in light brown and havana brown. This could actually be a cool look for someone looking to break it in...the folds in the arm do NOT wear like the collar...they have a more slight fade that should look pretty cool. I would suspect the collar and body leather were dyed separately/differently? Not sure...it a nice jacket...just not the one for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0983283104

m444uk

What colour is the leather in cross section on the hanger and pocket interior ?

Chrome tanned leather comes out of the tanning bath blue or purple and is then put in a vat of dye. In this case brown ?
The top finish on that jacket is sprayed on pigment paint. If the undercoat used is bright straw or yellow it
could look a bit strange until that too wears through to the leather.

In the past both Aero and Eastman have made the mistake of using a top coat of seal deliberately
designed to wear quickly. The exposed yellowish undercoat looked ridiculous.

Vegetable tanned leathers typically come out of the tanning bath light biscuit coloured. Depending on the top coat finish colour no dying may be required.

767fo

Jaguar46 said:
wop54 said:
Jaguar46 said:
Aero is a premium jacket maker. I own a few, and I will never sell them. I am still looking for my first Aero A2, however. Report back when yours arrives.
Sorry, I hijack the thread, for a moment. Is that your car in the avatar, Jaguar46?
I love the style of that car.... Enzo Ferrari himself once said that the Jaguar E-type was the most beautiful car ever made!!
Back to the original thread, now! :D

This is my 1966 E-Type I purchased in 1974 (for $300). It had already started to rust out even back then. I had turned the car over to a guy to restore in 1983, but after he disassembled the car, and did nothing else for 28 years, I reclaimed the car in parts, and had it completely restored. All the way down to nuts and bolts, and put back together, by an expert, not me.

P1010990.jpg

P1010988.jpg

Here it is at the Quail Event, Carmel, 2011.

P1020085Large.jpg

work by Dave Ferguson, Image AutoBody, Campbell, California
http://imagesautobody.com/

Your car is stunning!!!