• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So where are we at??????

Clark J

Where did we end up on using leather conditioners on old leather??I know we talked about it but I can't remember where it ended up.Is there one that works?Clark.

airfrogusmc

Hey Clark,

Our old friend and collector Paul Sanders used Pecards and said it was the only stuff he used on his collection.

Curahee

As I recall it got stranded on the standpoint of "...don't mess with old leather...yes but if I want to wear I have to use the old pecards...yeah but...."etc. etc. and then a link popped to a website of some collector who had a very philosophical approach to it on wich most agreed after wich another dicussion followed and then....so what was the question again ?

CBI

if one really needs/wants to use something. My very favorite is Swiss Albion Leather Balm - the stuff is amazing and works really well on originals. Much prefered (for me) over the likes of Pecards, Lexol, etc. (not that those are bad). Designed for horse gear - saddles, straps, etc. Never ANY problems, little odor, not oily. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever heard it mentioned on this site....................... :shock: I purchased it online.

Stony

I also thought that museums didn't use pecards because it caused the leather to deteriate over time.

I've been using this stuff on HH and Goat, with great success for over a year. It has taken extremely stiff, 'cardboard' leather and made it supple, soft and just like it should be.

http://www.leatherique.com/

Anyone else have experience with it, good or bad, longterm or not?

Roughwear

I have used Pecards for quite a few years and provided it is used sparingly it will revive tired leather, making it supple. It will not restore rotted leather.

regius

Roughwear said:
I have used Pecards for quite a few years and provided it is used sparingly it will revive tired leather, making it supple. It will not restore rotted leather.
Andrew, the Irvin I recently picked up has all the surface finish intact. The particular finish looks almost like Eastman's "Cardboard" finish, if this is truly an original, it's in increadible condition, no cracking at all, only a few slashes.

I wonder if you recommend applying Leatherqieu or pecard? I have all the top products, Pecars, Leatherique, Obenauf, Montana pitch blend and Lexol.

I have the same question for my original Roughwear b3, which has a lot more surface cracking.