• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snapped or unsnapped?

Burnsie

Vcruiser said:
Chandler said:
Burnsie said:
Couldn't those guys have worn just about anything and still been cool?

Well, they all hit a wall that ended their "coolness," Dean's more literal than the rest.

Chandler

100_0339.jpg

When was this taken? Every time I've been there there's a bunch of junk left there with lipstick all over the headstone. Which is the third headstone, now anchored deep into the ground to prevent further thefts...don't know if that's a measure of Dean's coolness or of certain of his fans sickness.
Back on track - Dean wore an A-2 in the TV drama "The Unlighted Road"...unsnapped!!!!!

Chandler

Hmm, wonder why that doesn't have full dates -- anniversary coming up soon.

James Dean, James Dean,
Bought it, sight unseen

Chandler

Vcruiser

Burnsie said:
Burnsie said:
Well, they all hit a wall that ended their "coolness," Dean's more literal than the rest.

Chandler

When was this taken? Every time I've been there there's a bunch of junk left there with lipstick all over the headstone. Which is the third headstone, now anchored deep into the ground to prevent further thefts...don't know if that's a measure of Dean's coolness or of certain of his fans sickness.
Back on track - Dean wore an A-2 in the TV drama "The Unlighted Road"...unsnapped!!!!!

I took that photo last summer. Dean and I are both from the same hometown(Faimount).
Big JD festival and custom car show there every last weekend in September. Both coolness..and fan's sickness...(they come from all over the world)..but I knew Dean before he was cool. I was once married to his cousin.
They have a James Dean monument (Bronze bust on a brick pedestal)at the cemetary that was also stolen and replaced.
Van

deand

I'm going for snapped, having perused many photos here and elsewhere, especially those shots of the Tokyo raiders, I noticed a minority of snapped collar tabs, and I'm usually inclined toward rarities.

dean

johnwayne

Whatever floats your boat really - personally its unsnapped collar up on my ELC house, unsnapped collar down on my GW Doniger and original Dubow. Its just what looks right to the actual jacket I think and somehow the pointy collars and the latter two jackets look a little odd when up but lay very nice when down either way, just better in my view unsnapped!!
Ive loved A2's for so long ultimately its cool anyway!!!

Cheers
Wayne

zoomer

If my A-2 collar looks clownish or crawls off my neck when undone, I'll snap it.
If it throws a crease down the jacket front when snapped, I'll unsnap it.
If it does both, I'll sell the jacket!

flyboy

Both ways really.
I tend to snap it, if it's unsnapped when I take it on - and unsnap it if it's snapped. :?

zoomer

Y'know what's nifty? Rolling the snapped collar out and down, giving a "collarless" look. Pic from 1935:
5214972950_e0f43f572b_b.jpg

If you don't look closely, you might think they were some kind of zippered A-1s.

In an entirely practical application, I used my snaps as keepers for my scarf when it got too warm yesterday.
1. Collar up
2. Scarf behind collar
3. Points down and snapped
For those of you who always came up one mitten short as kids (like me!), this is a boon.

watchmanjimg

I definitely roll my collar out and down. Check it out on my Few Bronco:

JacketsEtc028-1.jpg

Different strokes of course, but I find that the collar design is generally what makes or breaks a particular A-2 contract--right after the width of the upper back panel, that is. :lol:

deand

I have thought, or wondered, why so many hate collar stands. Now I have a theory! If you like to leave the collar unsnapped, and you have a collar stand model jacket, the collar will literally stand out, like wings. Not cool, I imagine. If no stand, no lift effect. So, the snaps seemed designed to work with a collar stand for a 'neat' look. Just a thought.

dean

watchmanjimg

deand said:
I have thought, or wondered, why so many hate collar stands. Now I have a theory! If you like to leave the collar unsnapped, and you have a collar stand model jacket, the collar will literally stand out, like wings. Not cool, I imagine. If no stand, no lift effect. So, the snaps seemed designed to work with a collar stand for a 'neat' look. Just a thought.

dean

I think many of us who dislike collar stands do so because in some cases the stand causes the collar to sit higher on the jacket, resulting in chafing of the neck. I'm not keen on the Dumbo look either, but that's just my opinion.

deand

watchmanjimg said:
deand said:

dean

I think many of us who dislike collar stands do so because in some cases the stand causes the collar to sit higher on the jacket, resulting in chafing of the neck. I'm not keen on the Dumbo look either, but that's just my opinion.

Uh, yeah, that, too, of course :oops: Most likely the prime cause. Chafes pretty bad, eh? Enough that most disdain them. Wouldn't know cause I own low end repros that couldn't be bothered with them. Time, trouble and expense. I'd love try one and see meself. A Good Wear of course! ;)

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
I think many of us who dislike collar stands do so because in some cases the stand causes the collar to sit higher on the jacket, resulting in chafing of the neck.

And, in my case anyway, the collar also sits out from the back of the neck, leaving a gap. Rather than taking the blame, and writing it off as my own deformity, instead I'm blaming the A-2 pattern.

Effectively it's a shirt pattern, but unlike the A-1, the yoke is now omitted, so the collar stand is attached directly to the back ... on a dress shirt it's attached to a two piece yoke. Without the yoke it often doesn't fit well ... simplifying the pattern by dropping the collar stand may have been labour saving, but also results in a better fitting collar.

navvet

I also have the problem with the back of the collar gaping open on my repro A2. It could be that the collar itself is at least two inches too big(or my neck is too skinny at 15 in.)