• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small problem with my new ELC RW B3...

Radz108

Hello Fellow Members,

As many of you know, I recently received my long awaited ELC RW B3 4 days ago. Since receiving it, I have been wearing it everyday (Calgary is having a wicked cold spell lately) and it has kept me warm and cozy. Overall the jacket fits, looks and performs beyond my expectations. However, I have found a small problem with it the day after I received it. I noticed that the top of the wind flap is balding. I didn’t noticed it during my initial inspection of the jacket because the wind flap was folded over and also I was too damn excited to wear it already :) ! I tried to ignore it and just enjoy the jacket since the majority of times, the “flaw” is not noticeable. However, my obsessive compulsiveness get the better of me and I find myself focusing and being self conscious about it. I would appreciate all your opinions about it. I already emailed ELC’s Rob Brace about the problem last Thursday and I sent him pics showing the problem as well. He has yet to respond to my email.

WindFlp-20110224-3.jpg

WindFlp-20110224-9.jpg

WindFlp-20110224-7.jpg

WindFlp-20110224-6.jpg

This is normally how the wind flap is folded and how the jacket looks the majority of the time. I did a more thorough inspection of the jacket and I don't notice anymore bald spots anywhere else.
ELCRWB3-20110222-4.jpg

Thanks for your help

RG :( :(

Falcon_52

I just checked my Rough Wear B-3 from Eastman. Mine looks similar so it may just be an inevitable "feature" of these jackets. Mine is also bald on the high spots on the little triangle waist gussets. I'm interested in what Rob at Eastman has to say; in the meantime, I wouldn't let it get you down too much.

Noel

Radz108

Thanks for your opinions guys. I feel better. I would hate to have to send the jacket back to Eastman and for another several weeks for a repair/replacement. Don't want to mention the postage as well!
Would you mind, Noel if you can post a pic of your jacket in that area or pm me the pic so I can compare?
So, Andrew does this "feature" make my jacket even more authentic? :p Add a talon zip in the future... Instant old/new original B3? :D :p

Roughwear

You could certainly fit a NOS Talon zipper to the jacket and then wear it alot. A few weeks wear will break the jacket in nicely and it would resemble a well preserved original. :)

MikeyB-17

A bit of wear and it will probably develop a few more bald spots in other places. Don't let it bother you-part of the joys of owning a shearling jacket.

Silver Surfer

that will happen on the folded areas. just the way the fur spreads out when folded. pinch an area of the wind flap, trying to duplicate the tight fold, and you will see that the pinched area does the same thing. same on nearly all originals. you can drive youself nutz [been there, did that] looking for issues that will eventually make you feel unhappy with your new jac. then ya sell it for lotsa dough less then ya paid for it. perfect, eh? not yet. then one day ya wake up thinking about your now sold b-3, and ya say something like this " what the hell was i thinking????" this really gets to ya when you sold the jac to a friend, and he is happy as a clam with it,,,and,,, it looks killer. but, then again there are issues to contend with, ya know what i mean, like: the stitches arent straight, the hides dont match perfectly, the weave of the knits, etc.......on and on it goes. Q: just how many of us have let go a a perfectly fine repro because we got a bug up our asses for some nit picking reason? show of hands. they are after all repros, and if ya have originals, you know as well as i, they were often made, a little less then perfectly.

Radz108

MikeyB-17 said:
A bit of wear and it will probably develop a few more bald spots in other places. Don't let it bother you-part of the joys of owning a shearling jacket.
The thing is the jacket is brand new. I just got it last Tuesday evening. I think it was already like that when I got it. Is this normal for brand new jackets?

Radz108

Silver Surfer said:
that will happen on the folded areas. just the way the fur spreads out when folded. pinch an area of the wind flap, trying to duplicate the tight fold, and you will see that the pinched area does the same thing. same on nearly all originals. you can drive youself nutz [been there, did that] looking for issues that will eventually make you feel unhappy with your new jac. then ya sell it for lotsa dough less then ya paid for it. perfect, eh? not yet. then one day ya wake up thinking about your now sold b-3, and ya say something like this " what the hell was i thinking????" this really gets to ya when you sold the jac to a friend, and he is happy as a clam with it,,,and,,, it looks killer. but, then again there are issues to contend with, ya know what i mean, like: the stitches arent straight, the hides dont match perfectly, the weave of the knits, etc.......on and on it goes. Q: just how many of us have let go a a perfectly fine repro because we got a bug up our asses for some nit picking reason? show of hands. they are after all repros, and if ya have originals, you know as well as i, they were often made, a little less then perfectly.
Well said silver surfer. I just need to acknowledge that the rest of the jacket is great and stop nitpicking. I'm glad it's still cold here in calgary so I can continue to break it in. I'm getting such and upper body workout wearing thus thing :)

Radz108

767fo said:
Let us know what Rob at Eastman says.
Update
Got a response from both Rob and Gary regarding my issue with the windflap. Both Rob and Gary felt that the sparseness of fleece in that area was due to the manufacturing process of the jacket. The windflap fleece is trimmed to 6mm in depth and due to the folding, seams and stitching around that area, it makes the fleece appear sparse. Rob adviced trying to carefully tease out some of the fleece stuck under the stitching to help improve the sparseness. I did that and it did improve the balding a little. It still looks a little bald but not as much as before. I'm ok with the result and can now enjoy my jacket without reservations :)
Overall, I really like the jacket!
It's currently -22C (windchill -35) here in Calgary and for the next few weeks it's going to stay well below freezing. This jacket is getting a lot of wear right now and it's looking better each day :D

Cheers
RG

John Lever

You have very good jacket weather there in Canada, here we get maybe 10 days a year when we can wear our sheepskins.

Radz108

John Lever said:
You have very good jacket weather there in Canada, here we get maybe 10 days a year when we can wear our sheepskins.
From November to April - We can get quite cold weather. The last 2-3 weeks in Calgary have been very cold and I have used my B3 everyday since I got it around mid Feb. I find just a plain long sleeved dress shirt with a under shirt with my B3 keeps me warm even down to -30C (-40 with windchill). Haven't needed to use any of my thick wool sweaters since getting my B3 :) Today, it is -13C and I'm just wearing a short sleeved collared shirt with a thin undershirt to work with my B3. However this weekend and next week it's going to be plus single digits (up to +7C). Might have to wear just a t-shirt if I plan to wear the B3 or (heaven forbid) a lighter jacket ;)
John, you should "vacation" up here in Canada during the winter months so you can fully enjoy your significant sheepskin jacket collection ;)

Regards

RG

Ps: has your B3 come yet - waiting for your review of the new horsehide.