• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Size 48 Dubow A-2 leather query

bazelot

I just bought a Dubow A-2 that needs love. It needs a new waistband and new knits but it also needs a complete zipper and leather zipper box (it was removed for god knows what reason...) reattached. I am looking for a bit of horsehide to match the general color (and maybe wear) of the jacket below to recreate the zipper box. Does anyone have leather for sale that would match this jacket?

bseal

I know they've been banned, it's not like Trump in the UK, so go with the co. that shall not be named.

bazelot

Quick question, did this contract also use the Crown zipper or was it strictly a Talon zipper contract?

bazelot

Got the jacket yesterday, the lining could probably be saved but it is extremely grimy, any idea on how to clean it?

Silver Surfer

if the cloth is strong enough, a mild solution of clothes was [ no odor type] detergent and water. ya cant use too much detergent because it will be impossible to rinse out. use a sponge or cloth, having squeezed out most of the solution, and apply by dabbing and moving around on the cloth liner gently, an area at a time. the idea being to clean the cloth without soaking the hides. if the cloth liner is weak, all bets are off. a weak liner will just start to shred when ya try to clean it. also, if the grime is actually dye or ancient engine grease, the above may not work very well.

bazelot

Silver Surfer said:
if the cloth is strong enough, a mild solution of clothes was [ no odor type] detergent and water. ya cant use too much detergent because it will be impossible to rinse out. use a sponge or cloth, having squeezed out most of the solution, and apply by dabbing and moving around on the cloth liner gently, an area at a time. the idea being to clean the cloth without soaking the hides. if the cloth liner is weak, all bets are off. a weak liner will just start to shred when ya try to clean it. also, if the grime is actually dye or ancient engine grease, the above may not work very well.
Thanks, it is just plain grime. I think I'd better leave it alone :)

Silver Surfer

imho, if you intend the finished jac to be a wearer, install a talon. the talons, as you know, are far more rugged then the crowns for real use. they, along with crowns are correct for the contract.