• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

size 44 older elc irvin

Lignemaginot

It's disgusting of him to say that his reason for retracting his bids is because he "couldn't contact the seller." What a load of BS - sounds like he has a shill name to run up the price to dissuade other buyers, then he retracts his bids and makes it look like the seller is shady, and then uses another name to snipe it at the last moment for a lower price. Absolute crap.

John Lever

Looks like we could do with an ebay sellers banned list somewhere in our archives so we can all use it as a database.

ausreenactor

Lignemaginot said:
It's disgusting of him to say that his reason for retracting his bids is because he "couldn't contact the seller." What a load of BS - sounds like he has a shill name to run up the price to dissuade other buyers, then he retracts his bids and makes it look like the seller is shady, and then uses another name to snipe it at the last moment for a lower price. Absolute crap.

"Couldnt' contact the seller" was my bid(s). Getting left with it, having forgone it and put stuff on with Mr 17% was a poor show. I had no response and you can only retract up until the 14 hour prior mark. This guy used the "entered the wrong bid amount", part of which is combined with you putting on the correct bid pretty quickly. The bidder found a different jacket more to his liking, that he will pay a hefty sum for if he gets it.. He will not put bids on again on the 44 I assume. He is a fool; however, as the 44 may go through at a lower price than he expected, and he may come unstuck in the futre, say about 6 days, when a snipe or two will surely come in. Normally a seller will cry foul and relist, but time will tell.

Couchy

ausreenactor

John Lever said:
Looks like we could do with an ebay sellers banned list somewhere in our archives so we can all use it as a database.

As sellers we can ban certain buyers. But when you have had $800 sitting there all week you would be confident. You used to be able to monitor the bid retractions for bidders. Not sure these days, in the age of the buyer is king. I saw your response John and had a giggle. I am sure he looks here. Maybe the opinions swayed him? Or just the presence of the other. Might list a bogus "to good to be true" ELC 44 and have a free run at the 42? Obviously reliant on his penchant for the low act.

Couchy

Lignemaginot

Couchy, no offence, but I must be missing something in the Australian-US translation... I can't understand most of what you're saying, but the part that I'd like to understand is if you're actually saying that you were the bid retractor who said hecouldn't contact the seller. If that's the case, a) it's not true, and b) why did you bid an amount that you'd need to retract at all?

John Lever

Lignemaginot said:
Couchy, no offence, but I must be missing something in the Australian-US translation... I can't understand most of what you're saying, but the part that I'd like to understand is if you're actually saying that you were the bid retractor who said hecouldn't contact the seller. If that's the case, a) it's not true, and b) why did you bid an amount that you'd need to retract at all?
I'm lost on this one...
Is the bid retractor a member here ?
I asked Gary about the jacket. This is his response -

Hello John,

Not sure, we've made so many over the years. In the early 90s there was period where the outer was a little darker than subsequest production. Plus I think the photos in this instance have a poor white balance setting thus making it look the wrong colour. That's about all I can say on it really.

Best regards,
Gary

Roughwear

The guy mentioned above has caused me trouble with some of my listings and was quite unpleasant. I have blocked him as a bidder on any of my sales. I'm sorry about the grief he has caused Clive's brother but we should all be aware of this guy and avoid his auctions and prevent him bidding on ours.

Roughwear

Alcionelamayor. He's the idiot who paid a massive amount for Hawkeye's Irvin elastic collar securing strap. He buys stuff from ELC and then tries to sell them above the UK new price. :roll:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Lignemaginot said:
It's disgusting of him to say that his reason for retracting his bids is because he "couldn't contact the seller."

Clive ... the $1400 bidder has bid, and then retracted, just to find out the proxy bid of the previous high bidder (Couchy).

With his maximum bid now exposed, he also wants to withdraw, but eBay doesn't have the option of another bidder was messing with the auction. He has to choose from eBay's list, none of the reasons given are correct, but you can't proceed without selecting one ...

• You accidentally entered the wrong bid amount due to a typographical error.

The item’s description changed significantly after you entered your last bid.

You can’t reach the seller by telephone or email.

Lignemaginot

Fair enough - I retract my harsh words. Just rankled, given that I know that my brother goes out of his way (overboard, I might say) to do the right thing and make people happy.

Roughwear

The jacket is already going for more than ELC Irvins usually sell for and its almost certain to get more bids in the last few seconds.

ausreenactor

David..

Spot on..And I did not receive a response from the seller right away so it was the most appropriate reason. The seller is/was peeved and provided the bidder ID straight up so I could flag it. I am pretty sure he is in Mexico. Granted I bid an amount, and that amount was insufficient. So I then put the 'money' into other stuff. To have it come up as the high bid again at $635 is pleasant. But anyone can put on an $800 bid, knowing full well that they are just costing me money. That is the point!! I have over 1300 transactions on eBay, and I have seen a lot of this. I am sure that the seller would have been more upset if I did win and then stated I will get the payment to you when I can, as I have commitments elsewhere. There is another bidder in on it now, given the lower price and the next three hours could be interesting!

Couchy

ausreenactor

Lignemaginot said:
Fair enough - I retract my harsh words. Just rankled, given that I know that my brother goes out of his way (overboard, I might say) to do the right thing and make people happy.

And I am certain your brother is one of the good guys. He has updated the item description to let everyone know who the culprit is. Nice touch!

Couchy

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I bid £550 but it went higher !

And that was plenty, but it sold at Winning bid: US $910.00 which must be almost a record for a second hand ELC.

Everyone involved should be happy with that. :cool:

John Lever

Because when you are not there at the end of the auction someone else just keeps upping the price until they pass your maximum. Yes I could have placed a maximum of $910, but with one minute to go someone else gets it for $911...