• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side Entry Pockets on Current Issue USAF A-2s?

herk115

I've searched the archives and wasn't able to find this topic addressed, so I apologize if it's been discussed before. If so, someone provide me with a link and I'll check it out.

But anyway, there's a debate going on about current issue USAF A-2s having side-entry (or "hand warmer") pockets. My Cockpit DSCP A-2 has side-entry pockets (the kind created simply by not sewing down the aft edge of the flap pocket). I have numerous pictures and have personally observed USAF personnel on base on duty wearing A-2s with side-entry pockets, with -- gasp! -- their hands in their pockets! It's been a while since I got out and the jacket I was issued, a Cooper, did not have side-entry pockets, but this was 1989, and things change.

However, I have just been told that no current mil-spec issue USAF A-2 jackets have side-entry pockets.

Anyone out there close enough to, or still in, the air force who can settle this matter? Thanks.

flightmac

I had a replacement issued around 2004 (Avirex/Cockpit? I'm out of town) with side entry pockets. My original issue Cooper had gotten pretty "broken in" and was able to get another A-2.

The current Air Force leather A-2's were not based on a particular jacket made in the '30's/40's but more an average look. The handwarmers were included as a nod to present practice. The AF jackets since WW II, the B-15's, MA-1's and CWU-36P/45P all have had hand warmers as well. I flew in the Navy in the '60's and, as our G-1's had no hand warmer pockets, we used to stuff our hands into the front pockets while on the ground. It could be awfully cold on a dark, wet morning while you pre-flighted an aircraft in the dark and you would do anything to stay warm. Gloves just didn't seem to help much.

HackerF15E

The handwarmers became standard on USAF A-2s in 1998/1999 when the contract switched over to Avirex.

I have only been retired about a year, but the ones being issued as of then (Cockpit USA-manufactured) still had the handwarmer pockers.

5 or 6 years ago I did a little photo-essay of the various cuts and designs between manufacturers of "Modern A-2s" in the equipment issue shop at Vance AFB:

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/current-usaf-issue-a-2s.8839/