Shrinking a leather jacket?

Discussion in 'How To Info' started by Tom in Atlanta, Nov 5, 2014.

1. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Leaving a jacket out in theccsummer sun will shrink it also.

2. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Yes goatskin does shrink, but the problem will be shrinking the body and not the sleeves. So tumbling it is unlikely to work.

3. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

Eat lots of pies. It’ ll soon get smaller.

Smithy likes this.
  4. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

If a jacket doesn't fit then it doesn't fit. Yes there's things you can try, wetting and then stretching if too large, washing in hot water if too big.

But all of these things are more than likely to completely bugger a jacket up, either the lining, stitching, the drape of the leather, or the proportions of the leather pieces in relation to other pieces on the jacket.

If a jacket doesn't fit, is too big or too small, sell it and find something else.

5. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

I agree with Tim. I've hot watered my AN-J-3 which was brand new, but only to fast track the wear, which worked. I wore it in the bloody hot Oz sun till it dried. It formed to my shape, shrunk a wee bit, but as you wear it, it stretches back to its original shape. It will also wear the knits (stretch) and lining by stretching and pulling at the stitches as it dries differently to the leather

Never do this with vintage jackets unless you want them to fall apart all the quicker

Smithy likes this.
  6. Zmit

Zmit New Member

Thank you very much for your opinions and advice.