• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shit, what do I do?

TankBuster

EMS shipping ONLY! Make the buyer pay for it! I use it on all my auctions, and have never once had a problem. For small ticket items, airmail is fine, but if you're selling a original jacket or a spendy repro, EMS is the only way to go. Full tracking info is std, and so is partial insurance. It will run anywhere from $30-$50, but it's worth it not to have the headaches. In this situation, I fear it may be a spendy lesson :cry:

Hawkeye

Luckily i did insure the jacket for its full selling price prior to sending it, but Im concerned about getting the insurance, paying it to the buyer, then him recieving the jacket a short time afterwards and not giving back the refund. Then I'm on the hook to give the insurance money back to Canada Post.

mazeta

Hawkeye said:
Luckily i did insure the jacket for its full selling price prior to sending it, but Im concerned about getting the insurance, paying it to the buyer, then him recieving the jacket a short time afterwards and not giving back the refund. Then I'm on the hook to give the insurance money back to Canada Post.
I hope you're patient...
If Canada Post is anything like the US Postal Service, they will have to determine (in their own time) that the jacket is definitely lost before honoring the claim, so you may have to wait a LONG time before they pay up on it.

havocpaul

I went into my Paypal account last night to send some money for a purchase only to find my account in minus; a message from PP said there was a charge-back claim from a guy in the US who I sold an item on eBay back at the end of Jan. Now he had never contacted me to say he hadn't received it and I am wary of him as he has a poor 96% feedback. I have a proof of postage receipt and the item went airmail with my return address on it too. Paypal asked for my comments so they can investigate, however, they also want me to add funds to the account to cover the debit. If the item has gone astray then I will have to refund him and claim something back from Royal Mail. In over 5 years and well over 1000 successful transactions buying and selling on eBay this will be the first 'missing' item. The thing is although Paypal make out they are mediating and no decision can be made until all parties have been contacted, the buyer's credit card company has the over-riding decision and they already claimed their payment back hence my account now being in a negative status. I couldn't proceed with my purchase last night as I wasn't going to immediately put funds into the account until I heard more. Several e-mails to the buyer via ebay have had no response and I am not so sure it's all a genuine claim...I now see why some sellers say no credit card payments through Paypal.

shanghai joe

havocpaul said:
I went into my Paypal account last night to send some money for a purchase only to find my account in minus; a message from PP said there was a charge-back claim from a guy in the US who I sold an item on eBay back at the end of Jan. Now he had never contacted me to say he hadn't received it and I am wary of him as he has a poor 96% feedback. I have a proof of postage receipt and the item went airmail with my return address on it too. Paypal asked for my comments so they can investigate, however, they also want me to add funds to the account to cover the debit. If the item has gone astray then I will have to refund him and claim something back from Royal Mail. In over 5 years and well over 1000 successful transactions buying and selling on eBay this will be the first 'missing' item. The thing is although Paypal make out they are mediating and no decision can be made until all parties have been contacted, the buyer's credit card company has the over-riding decision and they already claimed their payment back hence my account now being in a negative status. I couldn't proceed with my purchase last night as I wasn't going to immediately put funds into the account until I heard more. Several e-mails to the buyer via ebay have had no response and I am not so sure it's all a genuine claim...I now see why some sellers say no credit card payments through Paypal.

I think a forum member had it done to him cos he didn't pay by credit card.......so credit card is the way hey to go if you're buying.

you fall you pick yourself up and you learn.........ouch!

HHjackets

havocpaul said:
...I now see why some sellers say no credit card payments through Paypal.

im not sure you you can tell whether the payment was made by paypal balance, bank transfer or credit/debit card unless it's echeck since this needs to clear.

also
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... ive-policy

4.3 Use of PayPal on eBay. Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment method in their eBay listings (either via logos or through text in the item description) must accept Card Funded Payments. Sellers must have a Premier or Business PayPal Account, or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal Account to a Premier or Business Account upon receipt of a Card Funded Payment. Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they only accept Balance/Bank Funded Payments, or will not accept Card Funded Payments. eCheck is the only Funding Source that eBay Sellers are allowed to block.

ebay can and will cancel the listing if reported (this happened to someone, i can't remember where i read about it though)

taikonaut

havocpaul said:
Now he had never contacted me to say he hadn't received it and I am wary of him as he has a poor 96% feedback.

Didnt know 96% amount to a "poor feedback". Rather I think people with that kind of feedback is more honest and perhaps reflect accurately of what he/she buys and bound to recieve a neg as a result of giving one in the first place. From personal experience about 1 to 2 out of 10 purchases I made from ebay I would have given the seller a neg for a number of reasons if I was bothered but I know full well they will neg me back. Come next month this wont happen because only the buyer can give neg feedback not the seller.

mazeta

I agree. 96% could be good, OR bad, depending on the specifics behind that score. You also have to factor in total transactions; 96% over 10 or 10,000 transactions?

HHjackets

HHJ,

Just realised that you're from fab London town......maybe we can meet up!

Joe

why not, im sure there are others here who live in london as well, anyone else would like to meet up as well!

Roughwear

HHjackets said:
HHJ,

Just realised that you're from fab London town......maybe we can meet up!

Joe

why not, im sure there are others here who live in london as well, anyone else would like to meet up as well!

I am also from London-greater London. A meet up sounds a good idea.

Sid Vintage

Hey I'm in Toronto as well. I have plenty of experience with both Ebay and Paypal. I'd just follow up on the dispute and supply the tracking number through the dispute process to Paypal. That should keep them off your case for a week or two. Hopefully enough time for the item to arrive. Next time jack up the shipping rate or even pay a portion out of your own pocket and go with EMS. The extra cost worth the guarantee you won't end up with headaches like the one you're going through right now. As a seller going with Paypal you have to 100% keep your backside covered at all times. Paypal will 100% all of the time take the side of the buyer. I've had a buyer with less than 10 feedbacks win a dispute filed against me and that's my feedback record with over 2000 positives and counting. In this case the only evidence Paypal had regarding the "dispute" was my word against his.

Good luck. Hopefully things work out ok and you can treat the experience as a lesson learned.

havocpaul

taikonaut said:
havocpaul said:
Now he had never contacted me to say he hadn't received it and I am wary of him as he has a poor 96% feedback.

Didnt know 96% amount to a "poor feedback". Rather I think people with that kind of feedback is more honest and perhaps reflect accurately of what he/she buys and bound to recieve a neg as a result of giving one in the first place. From personal experience about 1 to 2 out of 10 purchases I made from ebay I would have given the seller a neg for a number of reasons if I was bothered but I know full well they will neg me back. Come next month this wont happen because only the buyer can give neg feedback not the seller.

He got the negs from sellers because he wasted time by allegedly not paying and in one case received the item and then claimed a refund from Paypal.(according to the seller)..now that seems familiar!! In my view 96% is not a credit to the ebayer at all some of us work very hard to maintain 100% or near feedback rating by being good honest buyers and sellers.

taikonaut

havocpaul said:
taikonaut said:
havocpaul said:

He got the negs from sellers because he wasted time by allegedly not paying and in one case received the item and then claimed a refund from Paypal.(according to the seller)..now that seems familiar!! In my view 96% is not a credit to the ebayer at all some of us work very hard to maintain 100% or near feedback rating by being good honest buyers and sellers.

As you said, "according to the seller" but I am sure there are two sides to the arguement. I once neg a seller who refuse to sell after I won the auction, he neg me back and invented lies that I wont pay and could not be trusted. Ebay didnt want to know even when I provide proof of his email to me of excuse why he didnt sell. Problem here is too many people want to maintain this magic 100% and willing to fore go a negative feedback incase they risk getting one back which bound to happen.

Just to prove my point how many ebayers with 100% ever given a neg to another?

taikonaut

mazeta said:
I agree. 96% could be good, OR bad, depending on the specifics behind that score. You also have to factor in total transactions; 96% over 10 or 10,000 transactions?

Also if they are recent or when they first joined ebay. Most people when they first started dont know the ins and out and neg the seller/buyer for a number of reasons and then unsurprisingly the other party returns the favour. Once they knew the game it becomes unworthwhile unless it is positive feedback which is in all intent becomes based on a lie.

taikonaut

I just won a US air force wing for $47. The seller want to charge me $24 to send it from the US to the UK, werent told the shipping cost after I won, but he only charge $7 domestically. I normally get charged $24 for bigger more expensive items but things like medals, trinkets and other smaller items were between $6-$12. What sort of feed back should I leave? I guess none yet again like 40% of my purchase.

mazeta

taikonaut said:
I just won a US air force wing for $47. The seller want to charge me $24 to send it from the US to the UK, werent told the shipping cost after I won, but he only charge $7 domestically. I normally get charged $24 for bigger more expensive items but things like medals, trinkets and other smaller items were between $6-$12. What sort of feed back should I leave? I guess none yet again like 40% of my purchase.
Exactly what type of USPS service did he quote you? USPS Global Express Mail could easily cost what he quoted you.
Even if he overcharged you, if it arrives in a timely fashion, I'd still leave a positive...Although on the comments I'd make a mention of the high shipping, and give him zero stars on the rating on his shipping charges.

taikonaut

mazeta said:
taikonaut said:
Exactly what type of USPS service did he quote you? USPS Global Express Mail could easily cost what he quoted you.
Even if he overcharged you, if it arrives in a timely fashion, I'd still leave a positive...Although on the comments I'd make a mention of the high shipping, and give him zero stars on the rating on his shipping charges.

USPS, but I email him to consider an alternative given the relative value and size of item. Will waite for what he says. If I give him a less than ideal comments what are the chance of him giving me a neg? I recall once giving a neutral to a seller for misrepresentation and he replaid with a neg, not a fair exchange as I cant neg him back.

Actually I bought a flight helmet for just over $160 the other day and USPS Priority Mail International was only $15.75.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
mazeta said:

Wouldn't this be the most economical way? ....

Here’s a shipping option for international shipments that you may not know: UPDATE As of 14 May 2007, the small Global Priority envelope is no more. The large Global Priority cardboard envelope (to hold a 9×12 envelope) is $9.00 to Canada and Mexico, $11.00 to other countries. Use the small custom form, and you write the address directly on the cardboard envelope (i.e., there’s no separate form for that with a blister pak).

You can mail up to 4 lbs in the Global Priority envelope

mazeta

deeb7 said:
mazeta said:

Wouldn't this be the most economical way? ....

Here’s a shipping option for international shipments that you may not know: UPDATE As of 14 May 2007, the small Global Priority envelope is no more. The large Global Priority cardboard envelope (to hold a 9×12 envelope) is $9.00 to Canada and Mexico, $11.00 to other countries. Use the small custom form, and you write the address directly on the cardboard envelope (i.e., there’s no separate form for that with a blister pak).

You can mail up to 4 lbs in the Global Priority envelope
Global Priority is not the same as Global Express. The former is just a little faster (if at all) than First Class International, and it does not offer tracking. Global Express is faster, and it offers full tracking.

havocpaul

As you said, "according to the seller" but I am sure there are two sides to the arguement. I once neg a seller who refuse to sell after I won the auction, he neg me back and invented lies that I wont pay and could not be trusted. Ebay didnt want to know even when I provide proof of his email to me of excuse why he didnt sell. Problem here is too many people want to maintain this magic 100% and willing to fore go a negative feedback incase they risk getting one back which bound to happen.

Just to prove my point how many ebayers with 100% ever given a neg to another?[/quote]

As my case with this buyer is ongoing (eBay now investigating him) I won't comment any more on that; in answer to your last question, I have left negs before where there was no other option and yes, I was probably risking my 100% which thankfully remains intact...it should be about honesty. I have found eBay to be pretty fair overall.