• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shirt, flying, heavy, type A1

dujardin

helloooooooo

received today

this beauty is absolutely in mint condition
never worn, no hole, no fading, no nothing.... a great add for my collection
and tailored just for me, for my perfect athletic body :lol: :lol:

photos now...

DSCF6105.jpg

DSCF6104.jpg

DSCF6109.jpg

all buttons present
DSCF6107.jpg

DSCF6108.jpg

DSCF6111.jpg

DSCF6112.jpg

take a look on the white cotton, absolutely clean
DSCF6110.jpg

DSCF6113.jpg

very happy to win this auction
see youuuuu
marcel

grommet

Darn it Marcel! ;) Something else I was scarcely aware of and now can't live without. I was looking at some Filson wool jackets, but this is much cooler.

bombs away

Hello,

Just seen this picture on jzist's post in the photo gallery section of the forum.
Isn't the guy under the red arrow wearing Marcel's A-1 flight shirt ?

7055832861_b8d6b222aa_b_d.jpg

Tim

dujardin

goooooooooooooooood

yes, it's looks like an A1 heavy shirt

someone with a photo of this shirt used during WW2 ?????????,

watchmanjimg

Marcel, I don't think you'll find pictures of this item being worn during WW2. I believe it was produced and issued during the early days of the US Air Force as a separate entity, which was 1947 on. There are also A (blue) and B (sage) variants of the A1 and its corresponding trousers.

dujardin

thanksssss Watchmanjimg

tough, in C.G. Sweeting's book , page 66 of ''combat flying clothing'', this shirt is presented in the subtitle 'miscellaneous flying clothing'

part of the text :

a heavy , olive drab , wool shirt and trousers were available to aviators during the war..............aso aso aso..................

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

watchmanjimg

dujardin said:
thanksssss Watchmanjimg

tough, in C.G. Sweeting's book , page 66 of ''combat flying clothing'', this shirt is presented in the subtitle 'miscellaneous flying clothing'

part of the text :

a heavy , olive drab , wool shirt and trousers were available to aviators during the war..............aso aso aso..................

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Marcel, does the Sweeting book actually depict the garments in question? I'm sure you know AAF aircrewmen wore the standard OD wool uniform like regular Army troops, but in any case the A1 can sometimes be seen with the USAF decal under the label and on the left shoulder. I'm confident it's post-WW2 and followed the same progression from OD to blue to sage green as the nylon flight clothing.

dujardin

hello again Jim,

other part of the text to reply your question about the garment

: these garments, whose type designation sheets have not been found but specimens of which are included in the nasm collection.

other one

: which was marked ''shirt, flying, heavy, type A1''

will search other reference on the net

thanks again for your answers

dujardin

this is a link for another forum where i'm present,

in the list of equipment, see paragraph 2.8, this shirt is listed

http://usaaf.forumactif.com/t548-le-grand-projet

and another site where this shirt is referenced : wing.chez.alice.fr (but this time this site have some problem; i can't connect on it)
here is my screen capture

wingchezalicefr.png

very very strange this shirt is referenced and describe as WW2 flying equipment in Sweeting book, on different sites, by differents peoples and though no photo of this shirt in use during WW2.

if i found no proof (evidence) of this use during WW2, i will have to extend my collection to korean era :lol:

watchmanjimg

Marcel, the plot has definitely thickened. Based on the examples I've seen my understanding has been that the A1 shirts and corresponding trousers were developed along with the OD nylon jackets in the early days of the USAF. The transition from OD to blue to sage is consistent with this notion, but if you're finding documentation and photos to the contrary perhaps I stand corrected. I know the ATC existed until mid-1948, but I'm not sure the yellow version was used after WW2.

I'm interested to learn of any additional information you turn up. In any case I urge you to add Korean-era items to your collection. :D

dujardin

I'm interested to learn of any additional information you turn up. In any case I urge you to add Korean-era items to your collection. :D[/quote]

will try to found an answer on this, seems to be difficult....

extend my collection to Korea, yesssssssss.......
my wife will kill me :lol: