• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shirt, Flying, Heavy, Type A-1

USMC_GAU-21

dean,

It's a must book for jacket collectors. I know it is in Japanese, but there is enough English in there and references to make it a must have in your collection.

Not to mention the color photography of the jackets, Leathers to Nylon. :p

r- D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
I misidentified the khaki/mustard color as "green". I should have been more precise in my terminology. The khaki/ mustard color must be rarer then, right? I've seen one D-1A cap in that k/m scheme on the net.

Different perception of colour .... to get khaki out of LL Bean, I order British khaki. :)

And yes, I would think rarer, pretty much one year, and in that colour it would be a D-1 ...

Regarding the Air Force stamp, John Chapman features a lonely D-1A cap on his CD ...

This cap is quite interesting. I don't see too many of them, and it's made under the newer MIL-C-6821A standard, yet it has an Army Air Force stamp on it, which would have been used up to about 1947. Also, this is the earliest item I've seen made by Blue Anchor Overall, who are known for mid-1950's flight gear.

deand

deeb7 said:
Regarding the Air Force stamp, John Chapman features a lonely D-1A cap on his CD ...

This cap is quite interesting. I don't see too many of them, and it's made under the newer MIL-C-6821A standard, yet it has an Army Air Force stamp on it, which would have been used up to about 1947. Also, this is the earliest item I've seen made by Blue Anchor Overall, who are known for mid-1950's flight gear.

The stamp on that K/M wool shirt at the beginning of this thread read "U.S. Air FORCES which is a stamp I've never seen, clearly showing the shift from AAF to USAF was challenging, eh? Makes it a rather unique item, doesn't it? Mindful, of course, that others of the same vintage would share that stamp.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
The stamp on that K/M wool shirt at the beginning of this thread read "U.S. Air FORCES which is a stamp I've never seen .....

Yes, that's why I wanted to point out the difference ... the stamp on John's example was well obsolete.

deand

deeb7 said:
deand said:
The stamp on that K/M wool shirt at the beginning of this thread read "U.S. Air FORCES which is a stamp I've never seen .....

Yes, that's why I wanted to point out the difference ... the stamp on John's example was well obsolete.

Got it. Sorry for being a bit dull on that point, posted rather late at night. :oops:

dean

M. from Berlin

I am surprised that the D-1 cap is stamped USAF and the D-1A cap is stamped USAAF. One would think that the D-1A is the successor to the D-1. I haven't seen an A-1 shirt with an AAF stamp either.

917_k

I am surprised that the D-1 cap is stamped USAF and the D-1A cap is stamped USAAF. One would think that the D-1A is the successor to the D-1. I haven't seen an A-1 shirt with an AAF stamp either.

These are slightly bizarre, because certainty the D-1A cap superseded the D-1 cap. Exactly what happened with the AF/AAF stamp god knows, one can only assume it was some sort of mix up. I’ve got several of these, along with the A-1 shirts and E-1 trousers and all of them have Air Force spec numbers, so they-re all post AAF.