• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sewing leather name tapes to A-2s

Weasel_Loader

Getting ready to have a leather name strip sewn onto my Buzz RW A-2. Anyone know of exact positioning? How about preferred thread or stitch method? Thanks for any advice as I believe our alterations guy that we have on Edwards AFB has never sewn on a leather name tape to an A-2 jacket. :roll:

Persimmon

Name plates were issued in leather strips of 4 inches by 5/8 inches and were pressure stamped with the wearer's name. Plenty of alternative and hand-crafted examples can be found of differing sizes, shapes, and printing methods and styles. The name plate goes on the left chest generally about a half-inch or so above the squadron patch (or where one would be if it is not worn) and generally centered above it or slightly off to the wearer's right. The inside edge of the name plate is then about 2.5 to 3.5 inches from the edge of the wind flap. Again, it should eyeballed so it looks right.

The location of the squadron insignia on the A-2 jacket is on the wearer's left chest, placed laterally about one to two inches (or perhaps equal to the width of the wind flap) from the vertical stitch line of the wind flap, and about one inch or so above the top of the pocket. These measurements are just guidelines and the best thing to do is to place the patch so it looks appropriate. Once you have that rough guide then with a touch of keen eyesight depending upon the size of the patch you can work out where the name plate above the patch goes.
Hope thats of help

Alan

capt71

The original nametape (stitch hole outline) measures 3-3/4 inches by 1/2 inch. The top stitch line measures about 2-1/4 inches below the point of the collar (unsnapped) and the inside stitch line (left side as you are facing the jacket) (1/2 inch side) is 3-1/4 inches from the zipper flap edge. The bottom stitch line is about 3/4 inch above the top of the squadron patch. The name tape stitch holes measure 7 per inch. The existing nametag on the jacket is original and has dark brown thread, but I can't tell what it is--I would guess cotton thread, but could be something else.
Agree that "eyeballing" is the way to go. At that time I don't think there was too much emphasis on exact "regulatory" measurement for placement of nametags or patches (other than where on the jacket they were to be placed).
Bill