• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sealer question...........................

EMBLEMHUNTER

I would appreciate some info from the leather patch makers on this site, I found out recently the type of spray sealer I have been using for many years will soon not be available , and am wondering what you use and or best suggestion for clear gloss/flat sealer for leather patches with acrylic paint ?????????????????????????? either spray or brush on type .................

Looking forward to your replies and thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emblemhunter/Johnny

a2jacketpatches

Createx airbrush clear coat, matte and gloss. I mix a little gloss with matte to get a nice satin finish. I spray it on, but it goes on smoothly with a brush as well.

shedonwanna

Fiebings Leather Sheen, Tandy Super Shene, Liqutex Matte and Gloss Varnish and on some projects Johnson Future Floor Wax. Used with paints and stains for washes and used alone as final a clear coat. have also used Angelus Gloss and Matte finishes. I only brush apply so I can't recommend which would be best for spraying.

Is one of the above being discontinued?

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thank you both Very much for the quick replies, I've not heard of most of these except the Future floor wax , and Duhhhhh all new to me, could you please tell me if any/all of the above can be applied straight to flat acrylics, also do any of them come in can spray form as I don't have or use an airbrush ...............................................also approx. drying time ...................
Emblemhunter

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Thank you both Very much for the quick replies, I've not heard of most of these except the Future floor wax , and Duhhhhh all new to me, could you please tell me if any/all of the above can be applied straight to flat acrylics, also do any of them come in can spray form as I don't have or use an airbrush ...............................................also approx. drying time ...................
Emblemhunter

Yes, all the products I mentioned can be applied over the flat acrylics. Stick with the matte finishers to retain your "flat" look. Try a small pump sprayer. I usually use a brush or sponge and apply several coats. I also often use them to thin the paint. Depending on the thickness of the application most of these products are dry to the touch in 1-2 minutes. If the patch is tooled the finish that has pooled in some areas may take a bit longer to dry.

a2jacketpatches

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Emblemhunter

Don't have to use an airbrush with Createx, it's made to clear coat leather and acrylics without the high price of Tandy stuff. Easily found in a google search.

Future floor wax has been a remedy for lots of things, I used it many years ago to clear up a foggy model airplane canopy, you could actually sand with super fine and clear with this stuff and it would make it clear as a bell. If guys use it to finish leather projects, more power to em and I'm sure it works well, but Createx is made for this specific job so I stick with it.

shedonwanna

I like the Future Wax for some leather projects because it is a little more tense(hard,less flexible) when dry and cracks nicely for aging and distressing. Plenty of uses and a good product to keep on the workbench. As a disclaimer I should say I have Johnson stock in my 401k.

I do experiment a lot but for consistency I stick with specific brands for use on the patches so customers know what to expect. Createx has several products that work well and are affordable. You can't go wrong there and you know they will be available when needed. And you have a2jacketpatches personal recommendation - I use them too.

I've used Tandy and Fiebing's products for several decades. Grew up in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and have been doing leather work since my early scouting days. Joined the Tandy/Leather Factory wholesale club and have been a reseller for several years. With sales and membership discounts their products are affordable. I have a local store near me so I can pick my leather out. Don't use Tandy exclusively but I sure use a lot of their products.

Tandy Satin Shene

a2jacketpatches

Future Cracks? I'm going out to get some today dammit! Thanks for that. I've been thinking about intentional cracking for quite some time but never even got to the experimental stage with it with everything else going on.

TANGO YANKEE VICTOR MIKE

a2jacketpatches

I was just at the market and spaced out grabbing some FFW, but I'll get it tomorrow for sure. Any chance of you posting some pics of the cracking results?

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
I was just at the market and spaced out grabbing some FFW, but I'll get it tomorrow for sure. Any chance of you posting some pics of the cracking results?
Don't have any photos. The cracking isn't drastic just a little better than the clear acrylics made for the leather industry which are more flexible. The FFW is a little thicker(viscose) and can yellow over time. Try tinting it with the leather stain as a wash for aging - I think you are already doing this with Createx. I'll also thin the paint with FFW.

I've found that the acrylic paint and finishes made for the leather industry tend to remain flexible for longer periods of time and eventually wear down or wash off over time. Having stripped old wax off floors many times in my life I thought that old wax look is exactly what we wanted on the painted leather patches. The best cracking still comes from the oil paints...

I'll open my bottle of FFW and give it a try and post the results next week. I'm still painting the USA Flag shoulder patches. I'm on number 250 now and the customer has indicated they may need more! This patch work has always been my second job or hobby but may likely become my retirement job.

shedonwanna

Just went by my local Walmart and found that the FFW is relabeled as "Pledge With Future Shine". Same product just a name change. Also picked up another product by Trewax I'm going to try out...

7659D1D3-orig_zps9c53ed93.jpg

shedonwanna

Just another update. The Pledge floor product has has yet another name variation. The newest label on the shelves is "Pledge Multi-Surface Finish" with "Finish" being the keyword. My bottle of Future Wax is several years old and the product has yellowed and I thought I would purchase a new bottle and discoverd the name change. It really is an acrylic finish and not a wax or shine. Can take up to 8 hours to completely harden.

Pledge Multi-Surface Finish