• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scammers

John Lever

ITV doc tonight 9pm how criminal gangs are making millions by targeting customers on ebay.
There might be some tips on how to avoid being caught.

Rutger

I very recently received an "Ebay-message", all in the right colours and typography, messaging me I had forgotten to pay for an auction; conveniently, a link was included to complete said transaction.

ausreenactor

I am not sure if it is targeted or deliberate; however, eBay keeps linking other stuff I 'need' when I look at stuff I 'want'. They cost me a fortune!!
I don't report it to Tianna though.

2BM2K

Interesting programme.

The scammers (a Romanian crime gang) sold cars, vans, motor-homes on ebay. Once a buyer had been hooked they were sent fake
ebay emails with links to fake Paypal bank accounts, very convincing.

Payment was made to fake accounts which was then with drawn as cash soon after.

For this con to work the scammers opened hundreds of fraudalent bank accounts using fake ID.

What surprised me was how easy it was to open a fraudalent bank account, the banks are supposed to
make checks for possible money laundering activity.

joeson

Interesting programme.

The scammers (a Romanian crime gang) sold cars, vans, motor-homes on ebay. Once a buyer had been hooked they were sent fake
ebay emails with links to fake Paypal bank accounts, very convincing.

Payment was made to fake accounts which was then with drawn as cash soon after.

For this con to work the scammers opened hundreds of fraudalent bank accounts using fake ID.

What surprised me was how easy it was to open a fraudalent bank account, the banks are supposed to
make checks for possible money laundering activity.

Banks primary concern is to make money.If the amount is large enough,certain 'procedural details' often seem to be overlooked.It seems like the only penalty for this is a fine,and only then if they are caught.