• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RW & Patch Shadows

JDAM

Here's an interesting A-2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-USAAF-...9d1db47&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=272152578528

Ref. this thread...

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18817

s-l500.jpg

dmar836

While the rest of us see the field drying up, this guy still sees no decline in available jackets from his "drivers"?
Also interesting is his increasing blend of repros with "OEM A-2s.
I sure wish I knew his real story, besides the old hotel buying sprees, but from what I have learned about others with such opportunities, and "selling friends" it just doesn't appear level. I declare "hearse chaser" at best.
Just sayin',
Dave

Silver Surfer

nope, he has a huge storage facility in the chicago area. some of the stuff he sells, is just stuff that has been abandoned, or taken for lack of storage payment fees. he also buys some stuff on greedbay, and flips it. most of his originals tend to be dried out due to long term storage, and lack of care in his facility. i have dealt with him, both buying and selling, and he has been on the up and up. i suspect that he is something of a collector himself, and keeps the nicer a-2s for himself, when he comes across them.

a2jacketpatches

It is likely this guy has the bucks to offer more than the next guy and buy the storage lockers etc. Also, very likely he does rent a hotel room after posting an ad in the local paper two weeks ahead of time. There was a guy from New Hampshire that did it every quarter on Cape Cod. It's the best way to reach old timers because the good lot of them don't mess with computers and still read the paper with their morning coffee. I went once and saw the guy drop 300- on some type of Japanese short Katana while waiting my turn, seemed heirloom to me as opposed to military issue. The thing was probably worth thousands.

The field may be drying up for guys like Dave as he's mentioned before that there's little time for picking. That's because these guys have every territory covered and it's already difficult for the other pickers. But the stuff is out there, it's just that aside from these high rollers the picking competition has grown ten fold if not more over the past two decades. We're up against the TV show watching wannabees. That's why I see calling the unscrupulous sellers out on Ebay as counter productive for everyone, and saving a newbie from learning the hard lessons everyone should learn narrows it down even more. I've still got my ass-in-the-grass but it's more for the fun of it than to make money. And I think these high rollers only make money because they buy most of what comes out of the woodwork. I'll get lucky once in a while but in Vegas and now here I'm up against a guy with more money who just has to win every time. They tend to be very aggressive and will dish out a ration of sh*t to any vendor that doesn't see them first. They are known to pull out a wad of 100's and pay up. I'm this guy is no angel but is probably the type I speak of.

How the guys gets this stuff his business but at least we're not seeing another patch stitched over the existing stitch holes. It would be a different story if he was messing with things.

ADC

One of the jackets I bought from him used to belong to one of VLJ's long standing members.