• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROUGHWEAR A2 ac 23380-CBI

atkins

Andrew,
Could you analyze this jacket leather, vegetable or chrome tanned? aniline or pigmented/ top coated?

Is it soft to the touch or could you feel the grain? It would be awesome to see this and it's much younger brother you just purchase from JC together in a comparison thread . :D

Any new picture of you wearing it?

Thanks in advance,
Atkins

chrgod2

Great jacket. True historical piece in stunning condition!

An interesting read for a newbie like me, there are lots to watch out for when shopping vintage jackets.

jacketimp

chrgod2 said:
Great jacket. True historical piece in stunning condition!

An interesting read for a newbie like me, there are lots to watch out for when shopping vintage jackets.

there'll be more to come along your loooooooong collecting journey.......enjoy the voyage!

Roughwear

atkins said:
Andrew,
Could you analyze this jacket leather, vegetable or chrome tanned? aniline or pigmented/ top coated?

Is it soft to the touch or could you feel the grain? It would be awesome to see this and it's much younger brother you just purchase from JC together in a comparison thread . :D

Any new picture of you wearing it?

Thanks in advance,
Atkins

The leather is veg tanned, and analine dyed. The RE 27752 which I briefly owned was a fairly accurate repro, but the leather was sprayed dyed and almost had a plastic finish. Indeed several people thought it was plastic! I don't think it is possible to completely replicate WW11 leather. There are of course the differences between the horse hide used by different wartime makers, and no one has got them spot on today. John does the best he can with the available hides.

Roughwear

At last here are some pics of the jacket being worn.

001-14.jpg

002-14.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-18.jpg

005-18.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
Roughwear said:
At last here are some pics of the jacket being worn.

001-14.jpg

Hi, Andrew,

A really great looking jacket - from the collar shape it looks as if its been in storage for quite a while.

BTW - I'll bet the kids at school would dig that patch - man, you'd be the most popular principal ever.

Bill French

Chandler

Robman said:
That is how a Rough Wear is supposed to fit!

I dunno... those pockets are awfully far apart, just like my ELC RW, others may dicker with you! ;)

I gotta say, the hide on this original makes me feel good about my ELC 1401. They appear to be long lost brothers.

Chandler

Roughwear

Chandler said:
Robman said:
That is how a Rough Wear is supposed to fit!

I dunno... those pockets are awfully far apart, just like my ELC RW, others may dicker with you! ;)

I gotta say, the hide on this original makes me feel good about my ELC 1401. They appear to be long lost brothers.

Chandler

I would agree.The hide on the new ELC 1401p is as near to wartime horsehide as one is likely to get today. They use veg tanned/analine dyed leather rather than spray dyed leather which I have yet to encounter on any original RWs.

Chandler

Roughwear said:
I would agree.The hide on the new ELC 1401p is as near to wartime horsehide as one is likely to get today. They use veg tanned/analine dyed leather rather than spray dyed leather which I have yet to encounter on any original RWs.

My 1401 is over 10 years old, spray dyed, and actually has a similar patina to your original. Most anilines I've seen wear faster and show it much more than mine... or your original.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=764

This is a good example of how aniline wears:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2081

Chandler