• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROUGHWEAR A2 ac 23380-CBI

Roughwear

I have just won and paid for this rather nice Roughwear A2 AC 23380 CBI jacket in a 42. It is in near mint condition. It was issued to a pilot in transport command and flown over the "hump" in the CBI theatre. Pilot's nametag and unofficial ATC patch are in mint condition.The lining is in near mint condition apart from near the hanger and has the original blood chit sewn in the back.The left shoulder features the CBI insignia whilst the right shoulder has the Army Air Corps shoulder patch.The back of the jacket has a leather blood chit sewn on. Also with the jacket is a silk map issued by the AAF of Central China and French Indo China and a cloth blood chit.The zipper is a Crown and works perfectly. I will take more pics when it arrives. The seller is on business in the UK so postage should be quick. Now what to sell?

8f68_1.jpg

9482_1.jpg

903a_1.jpg

925f_1.jpg

931a_1.jpg

93d2_1.jpg

91a4_1.jpg

90eb_1.jpg

9555_1.jpg

963b_1.jpg

9781_1.jpg

Roughwear

I will post some better shots when it arrives, which should be mid week as the seller will be posting it on monday in the UK.

Roughwear

Simon, this is really interesting and would explain why the jacket is in such excellent order. I did Google Byers, but without success. Thanks for the link to the pic.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
Simon, this is really interesting and would explain why the jacket is in such excellent order. I did Google Byers, but without success. Thanks for the link to the pic.

Aye, there was a long thread about this jacket on the old forum, or even the one before that ... I can't remember. I sold it a couple of years ago. I have some info and will dig it up. I think Byers might have transited through CBI and just picked this jacket up as a momento. I don't think it was ever worn. Very good condition. The ATC nude novelty patch is not original to the jacket. The jacket had stitcholes and I very carefully added this novelty patch, which I purchased from Paul Saunders. The rest of the jacket is all original. I notice some running of the blue dye on the flag chit on the back? That wasn't there when I sold it. This was bought (not by me) about five years ago for $3500 so I think you got a pretty good deal.

Byers is buried at Jefferson barracks.
His AAF serial number, J O 3571.

This is him on the right:

01069634_155.jpg

A

Anonymous

taikonaut said:
Does Paul Saunders still sells this kind of novelty patches?

Paul has a very impressive collection and a lot of stuff passes through his hands. I suspect he could find something similar, they are not uncommon but it might take time to find one.
p.s. just incase anyone got the wrong end of the stick, the novelty patch is original, just not original to the jacket.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
Simon, I thought the patch was original. I do rather like the it. I'm sure it will turn heads at Duxford!

Oh yes, it's original for sure. Very nice. That jacket is rock n' roll.

atkins

Rough Wear,

Could you post more pictures? Man, i'm drooling on my keyboard. What hide is that?

Regards,
Atkins

Roughwear

atkins said:
Rough Wear,

Could you post more pictures? Man, i'm drooling on my keyboard. What hide is that?

Regards,
Atkins

It's horse hide. I will see what I can do about the pictures.

atkins

It's like new, a well kept beauty ! :eek: , It has a pointy tip collar! Very much like the original 16159 on Acme depot. Those high end repros have copied the wrong pattern? I also notice the stitches at pockets is very close to the edge. Help me out guys, is there anything else i miss,i mean, what makes a RW repro doesn't look right?...JC, will we see a 23380 on the horizon?

Andrew, thanks very much for the photos.

Chandler

011-14.jpg

Hmm, where's the Red Rooster to complain about the collar discrepancies on this original?

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Don't know why you added the Major rank, but guess you couldn't help yourself.