• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughwear 27752 depot re-spray (?)

Roughwear

You can see the original russet shade of the jacket under the pocket flap. IMO the jacket has not been re-painted, just worn heavily and thus most of the surface colour has worn away. You really do not see size 44 original 1401-ps coming up for sale at all. Shame about the replaced short Talon zip.

WBOONE

Wow--very interesting. I have a GW RW 1401-P and have been looking and looking for a original RW contract in decent condition for a non-astronomical price if possible from a U.S. seller. In a size 44/46. What do you guys think of this as a first, and probably last original A2 jacket? Any issues? What would be a fare price for it?

Roughwear

The original 1401-P is clearly in well worn condition, with much of the russet finish eroded. If you are proposing to wear it the lining would need to be repaired or replaced. There is some stitching to be replaced on the shoulder. The post War Talon zip is too short for the jacket and would need to be replaced IMO. Originally it would have had a M-39 Crown zipper. The knits look like old replacements as I can see some empty stitch holes on one of the cuffs. It is really hard to value this jacket today as prices have fallen. A fair price would in the range $750 to $1000. It is the first size 44 1401-P that I have seen for for sale for several years.

Roughwear

I was talking about the 1401-P. I would think carefully about buying the 27752 as re-painted hh jackets usually have condition issues, especially flaking caused by the thick paint. The wristlets are replacements, but the waistband appears original. This one should sell for around twice the starting price.

Roughwear

It is being sold by George, a member here, and is featured on John Chapman's flight jacket CD. The pictures of it on the CD show it to be a solid, wearable jacket.

Silver Surfer

redyes are a crap shoot. some are stiff as boards, and when ya even try to wear em, they start to flake and crack. others have stood the test of time as there were not so heavily "painted", and or were well taken care of, as this one appears to be. from the looks of it, this one does not seem to have any discernable issues. as it is a big size, it may bring in a little bit of a premium, but i do not see it going for over 1k.

WBOONE

Im starting to get just a wee bit tired of waiting and waiting for my size jackets to come around in any kind of decent shape-or priced below insane--been about 2 years. I just don't have the pipeline/network to the premium originals that some on here seem to have. I may go for this one--for around 1k like recommended on here. if it's a no go them im pretty much just going to throw in the towel.

Silver Surfer

seems as of late that the prices for original a-2s is creeping up again. good for owners, and sellers, but not so good for buyers. to be considered, is the fact that one can still buy a perfectly wearable a-2 for less then a high end reproduction. that will change in due time.

WBOONE

I did bid on the A2. On JC's site there is a picture under "whats new" of updated spec tags for RW. It compares a original 22752 tag to a repo. The tag on that original A2 matched the one original one on his site stitch for stitch, and there was some "off stitching" to compare them to that left no doubt it was the same jacket. I wonder if that is the A2 he used to design his repo's of that contract? The site shows him wearing a size 44 original. I went up to a grand--didn't bid until the last minute- but it hit $1400 quick. supply and demand at work. yet other original A2's just stay on the auction site month after month with no bidders. Of course they want $4500 for those.