• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rough Wear B-3

Art65

I bought this B-3 a couple of years ago from a gentleman in Tennessee. I think it is absolutely beautiful, but too bad about the drycracks in the back panels. I have found a guy here in The Netherlands who can replace pieces of a B-3 in a very decent manner, so I began to try to find material. I first tried all the reputable manufacturers who make nice copies. They were (understandably) not interested in selling material. So then I started looking for trousers with the same colors. Over the course of two years I found two. In my head a little voice came up, telling me not to go ahead. The shearling of the A-3 pants is perfect! As if it was made yesterday. But....I would ruin a historical piece of clothing in perfect condition, to repair and forever destroy originality of a beautiful B-3. I have decided for the time being to do nothing...and enjoy the three artifacts for what they are. But I would like to get my hands on a piece of red shearling just to keep with the jacket.

4.jpg
5.jpg
2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 196

Silver Surfer

yeah, the back is shot [not to be confused with schott]. deemed heresy by the purists, i would replace the back panels with hides from the pants....assuming those pants hides are strong and supple enough to withstand sewing machine work. hell, ya might even end up with an occasional wearer. that is, if worn very gently. if you are in the us of a, and decide to have the work done, i would recommend steve or dave to do the work. both are detailed oriented, and both are masters.

Ken at Aero Leather

The pants' material would be a great match for the jacket, and looks in great shape...

I'd want to see a couple of examples of the guy's work on similar jackets before I let him anywhere near that B-3
No I'm not pitching for work, our shearling guys are totally snowed under, it's just that this is a job for a very experienced shearling worker with all the correct machines for the job.

Art65

I'd want to see a couple of examples of the guy's work on similar jackets before I let him anywhere near that B-3
No I'm not pitching for work, our shearling guys are totally snowed under, it's just that this is a job for a very experienced shearling worker with all the correct machines for the job.
Maybe you could recommend someone? You are right in finding the best craftsman for this job.

Ken at Aero Leather

Maybe you could recommend someone? You are right in finding the best craftsman for this job.

I wish I could, the only person working in sheepskin and on VLJ that I'd recommend based on the work I've seen on line would be John Boy and I''m not sure he's still doing this work.
We use Dena of "Great Leather" in USA for our American repairs, we've had great feedback from our customers re her work but I've no idea if she works in Sheepskin.
it's an art all of it's own. I've been making leather jackets all my life but have probably only made a couple of dozen shearlings in all that time. If that B-3 was mine I wouldn't do the work myself

B-Man2

I haven’t seen him around here in a while. Don’t know if he’s still active here, but it’s worth a try.

Art65

you would be better off keeping the B-3 and pants for display and buying a repro for wear.

you are going to repair the cracked material with other 70 year old material which will do the same if you try to wear it

The leatherized sheep skin used on WWII B-3s does not hold up after this long and it is a known problem
I do not intend to wear this B-3.