• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rolex

Happy Hooligan

So does any one know why the rolex prices have gone crazy? It's been a while since I bought my sub, but it was in the 2000's and they all cost $3300 new. Now they're like $5000?

What happened?

mazeta

deeb7 said:
Happy Hooligan said:
What happened?

The US Dollar dropped in value dramatically, against all other major currencies.

That's a reason, but it's not the biggest factor. Rolex's price increases tame in comparison (in terms of percentage) to brands like Patek Philippe, Glashutte Original, Lange, and others.
The main reason for their price hikes: Because people will still buy them.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
mazeta said:

Yeah, that too ... :)

But I still believe that exchange rates are the big factor.

Say USD 3300 in year 2000, at the peak of 1.8313 = CHF 6043

Convert CHF 6043 today, and you get USD 5748.

The Dollar has lost over 40% of its value against the Swiss Franc, in that period.

watchmanjimg

The exchange rate may explain any particularly steep recent hike, but for many years it has been Rolex policy to raise prices annually--regardless of the strength of the dollar.

The notion that the prices go up " because people will still buy them" makes a lot of sense to me. A company that can sell every watch it produces can set its prices as it sees fit, although I've long since taken my business elsewhere. I've also heard that the wide availability of credit has affected Rolex pricing because buyers no longer have to fork over the entire purchase price at one time when selecting a watch.

MikeyB-17

mazeta said:

I think this is nearer the mark-this has been heavily discussed on the watch forums. I think this is mainly a tribute to Rolex's PR -they have the reputation in the eyes of the World as 'the' high quality timepiece-ie. you think of a high quality watch and Rolex is the first name that springs to mind. They can get away with charging what they do because people are prepared to pay the price. It appears that anybody who becomes a success these days buys a Rolex, the brand is synonymous with success-witness how often the name crops up in rap songs. I've always liked them, it was always my ambition to own one until I heard of the Omega Speedmaster, which with my interests took over as the watch I most wanted to own. I've got one of those, and the urge to own a Rolex has faded a bit-I can get away with wearing my Omega without attracting unwanted attention, whereas the Rolex does have a high 'bling'/nickability' factor. I don't dive any more so I don't really want one of the Subs or Dwellers, but I do like the GMT-Master as per Chuck Yeager, I rather liked the look of the Japanese 'frankenwatches' by RMC or one of the Japanese companies that someone posted a while back. The Explorer is nice too. They're beautiful watches but I don't think they merit the amount of money they charge for them nowadays. I saw a Sub for £600 back in 1992-a lot of money back then, but I wish I'd bought it. I read several stories back along on the Omega forums of guys who owned Rolexes looking down their noses at anything that wasn't a Rolex, maintaining that their watch was the absolute pinnacle of high-quality watches. That just ain't true. Nice, but there are plenty nicer.

A

Anonymous

Rolex raise the price every year no matter what the exchange rate is. Wear one then sell it, and you pay nothing. Very few items you can do that. Had a Sub, date for 22 years, sold it for more than I paid, used the money for a Pepsi GMT Master II. Great aviation watch with lots of history. In 20 years when I sell it I should do alright.

A

Anonymous

Rolex will always be a good investment. And i don't just mean financially. My parents bought me mine for my 18th birthday back in 1981 for £350. I'm on my third bracelet because I have worn it pretty much constantly. I've been offered £2000 for it. I was talking to a guy who was wearing one that he bought in 1963. He paid £48 for it back then. His hasn't left his wrist either. Mine has never let me down. I don't pamper it. I work construction. Worth every penny. If you REALLY want an expensive watch, you'll find a way to get one. (Look at how many jackets some people here have). If you think one is too expensive, then that ain't the model/make for you. Stick with timex. :twisted: If you're buying one that you intend to keep, only to sell at a profit in 20 years, then you ain't a real watch guy. Go for Krugerrands :)
Like so many things in life, people make assumptions about you for what you wear / how you look etc, etc. Me ? I don't care what people think. If they look and think it is a fake, then I let them. If they wanna think I'm rolling in it, then I let them. Who cares what they think ??!!!!!!!! It's only a watch for chrissakes !! :lol: All I know is that I still look at it and smile ................ 27 years later. Thanks mum and dad !!!!

Happy Hooligan

wing nut said:
Rolex raise the price every year no matter what the exchange rate is. Wear one then sell it, and you pay nothing. Very few items you can do that. Had a Sub, date for 22 years, sold it for more than I paid, used the money for a Pepsi GMT Master II. Great aviation watch with lots of history. In 20 years when I sell it I should do alright.

Finally something in common. The pepsi gmt is the one I want.

siddhartha

Administrator
I am a Rolex fan-I have a couple of them, and one of the Tudors, too. Great watches, and worth the money, with the resale value in mind. I always buy watches used-you can usually get a better deal, let someone else take the depreciation, and still have a great watch.

I agree that they are expensive, but I think they're fantastic watches. Omega is a great one, too-I own the Speedy Pro, and a Planet Ocean.

It's like collecting anything else-those who wish to spend $ can justify it, and those that don't, don't get it. That's fine. Rolex is one of the exceptions, that people recognize across the board.

Personally, I think that there are many great watches out there, in the 100$+ range, that can last a lifetime with proper care (Seiko comes to mind)

Chris

Clark J

Picked it up 5 yrs ago off Greedbay from a high feedback seller(turned out to be a jewelery store) for $2500 with papers,I don't think I could get one for even close to that now!
004.jpg

Weasel_Loader

As much as I love to look at these Rolex and Omega watches, I just couldn't see spending that much on a watch. Kinda weird when I think how much I spend on flight jacket. :roll: I do know for the price of a good Rolex/Omega, I can spend a nice week with my family on vacation in Hawaii and still have money left over. Let's just say I'd have more fun with the vacation than toting around an awesome looking timepiece. ;)

A

Anonymous

Just a guilty pleasure to own one, that and the ability to sell it without a loss. Have a nice GMT Master II P series and a Tudor Sub, from the early 1980's,both great watches.

siddhartha

Administrator
Yes-those "square hand" or military Tudor subs are among my favorites, and I was lucky to pick one up before the prices got too out of hand

Chris
35168230-PICT1098.jpg

Very timely post for me as I am Rolex shopping. I've been a watch guy as long as I can remember...but never pulled the trigger on a Rolex. I've worn an Omega Seamaster Pro every day for five years and think it is a splendid watch, but the Rolex itch needs to be scratched. Just can't help myself.

As Chris said, "It's like collecting anything else-those who wish to spend $ can justify it, and those that don't, don't get it. That's fine. Rolex is one of the exceptions, that people recognize across the board."

Try telling somebody whose not into jackets that you dropped a grand or thereabouts on a reproduction Goodwear or Eastman or RMNZ A2 and watch their eyes. They think we're nuts!

I explained this to my wife yesterday, and she seemed to get it, especially the value thing. She admitted that I had proven to her that some shrewd buying could lead to some real appreciation in value. I bought a beat looking old German K98 rifle for a couple hundred bucks recently and flipped it for a shade under sixteen hundred bucks because a collector I knew desperately wanted the stock for a restoration- it was a zf/41 sniper rifle. The rest of the rifle was pretty junky but the stock was primo and un-messed with. All about knowing the market for things. I also told my wife about a twenty five year old Sub that was selling on a website for $3900 in minty shape, meaning it was serviced and polished. Not bad for a watch that old and one that probably sold for about $1200 when new.

I also agree that buying used is smart, although if you know a bit about where to find them some real deals can be had on some models even brand new. I think my first will be a Sub date, and probably brand new for the sinful pleasure of it. But not full retail ! :D

tcwu said:
This is for someone really new to Rolex watch. TZers won not pay this kind of money for it unless it's NOS!

I agree completely tcwu, but the site in question seems to have no trouble moving their stock. SOMEBODY will buy it. :roll:

zoomer

A question...

no_rolex_no_sex.jpg

Does this mean you have to buy the lady a Rolex, or just be wearing one yourself?