• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROLEN SPORTSWEAR L-2B

Maverickson

Hi All,

Thought I might share with the Forum a jacket that I have owned for some time but only just recently finished up with. When initially purchased, this L-2B jacket was completely original, exhibited only light wear and required very little work to make it presentable once again. The cuffs and collar knits were in dire need to be replaced but little else. The jacket is roomy and unlike most L-2B's I have encountered of a decent length.

The jacket remains a little grubby & I plan on doing some spot cleaning. Foremost, I wanted to try keep the roundel from fading out and will avoid having the jacket dry cleaned. Incidentally, I am aware that this jacket has been to the dry cleaners at least once during it's lifetime. This fact came to my attention because upon initially receiving and then going through it's pockets a dry cleaners receipt was found. That receipt was made out to a Lt. Colonel, dated in 1965 and from Tinker AF Base in Oklahoma.

The jacket's measurements are as follows:

Pits 25.00"
Shoulders 20"
Body length 24.00"

This is what my Rolen Sportswear looks like some forty nine years since last dry cleaned but obviously no worse the wear!

These fine vintage L-2B's are super comfortable & perfect for the Fall weather we are currently experiencing here in South Eastern Virginia. That is until the temps fall just a little more which will force me to break out my leather jackets :)

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

Rutger

Wow, terrific! It looks used but not abused; many of 'em are often faded, damaged, and permanently stained, with heavily worn tag.
Well done. Get a similar MA-1 !

colekwok

Amazing jacket! The knits on the sleeves were replaced? Their colour looks a bit different to the waist band?

Maverickson

colekwok said:
Amazing jacket! The knits on the sleeves were replaced? Their colour looks a bit different to the waist band?

HI,

In this case, the cuffs and collar knits were toast but not the waistband. I suppose that I could have also replaced the waistband when I did the collar & cuffs. However, I choose to keep the original waistband over making a perfect match set.

Those replacement knits came from MASH Co. Japan.

Cheers, Dave

watchmanjimg

Dave, I believe we talked about this jacket awhile ago but either way it looks great. In my experience Rolen L-2Bs tend to fit the best in that the body length is a bit more generous for casual wear with modern trousers.

CBI

this is good to know in re length. My Rolen B-15C was WAAAAY to short in the body.

My Alpha L-2b circa 1970's is also on the short side. I wish these jackets had a few more inches in the length!!!!

watchmanjimg

CBI said:
My Alpha L-2b circa 1970's is also on the short side. I wish these jackets had a few more inches in the length!!!!

I have identified certain contracts that tend to run consistently longer in the body. Most are prior to 1970.

Maverickson

watchmanjimg said:
Dave, I believe we talked about this jacket awhile ago but either way it looks great. In my experience Rolen L-2Bs tend to fit the best in that the body length is a bit more generous for casual wear with modern trousers.

Hi Jim,

Yes, as many as three years ago we had a discussion with regards to the body length of L-2B's and in particular the longer body length found on Rolen jackets. That discussion was the catalyst for this purchase. With it's 24.00" body length, this jacket is a testament to the fact that Rolen jackets are relatively longer than most all other Mil Spec L-2B jackets.

All of my other L-2B jackets have a body length between 23.00" & 23.50". Prior to purchasing this Rolen jacket I came up with a civilian style (ALPHA) reproduction to fill the gap. As a matter of fact, that (Alpha) reproduction has the exact same body length as this Rolen. In an L-2B that additional half inch of length is everything! To this day & because of the longer body length found on that Alpha, I have continued using that particular jacket as my wearer.

As to the color differentiation between the cuffs, collar and the waistband on this L-2B is unfortunate. Not really noticeable when worn & only really seen under certain light conditions. It is just so difficult to match those existing colors found on these vintage garments. There are only so many choices for these knits and unless an absolute eyesore I always thought it important to maintain as much of the original as possible.

Cheers, Dave

CBI

thanks. my thoughts as well based on pics that the modern Alphas would be the practical way to go. I wish they looked a little better.

Again - thanks!!!!!

watchmanjimg

Maverickson said:
watchmanjimg said:

Hi Jim,

Yes, as many as three years ago we had a discussion with regards to the body length of L-2B's and in particular the longer body length found on Rolen jackets. That discussion was the catalyst for this purchase. With it's 24.00" body length, this jacket is a testament to the fact that Rolen jackets are relatively longer than most all other Mil Spec L-2B jackets.

All of my other L-2B jackets have a body length between 23.00" & 23.50". Prior to purchasing this Rolen jacket I came up with a civilian style (ALPHA) reproduction to fill the gap. As a matter of fact, that (Alpha) reproduction has the exact same body length as this Rolen. In an L-2B that additional half inch of length is everything! To this day & because of the longer body length found on that Alpha, I have continued using that particular jacket as my wearer.

As to the color differentiation between the cuffs, collar and the waistband on this L-2B is unfortunate. Not really noticeable when worn & only really seen under certain light conditions. It is just so difficult to match those existing colors found on these vintage garments. There are only so many choices for these knits and unless an absolute eyesore I always thought it important to maintain as much of the original as possible.

Cheers, Dave

Mismatched knit color isn't the end of the world. Given the cost of replacing them I can understand why you might choose not to replace any serviceable parts. I imagine this sort of thing must have been done thousands of times in actual military use (B-15 series Modified for example), so again not a big deal. As to the civilian Alphas, I'm not sure which version you tried that was longer in the body but the ones I've seen tended to run skimpy.

watchmanjimg

watchmanjimg said:
I have identified certain contracts that tend to run consistently longer in the body. Most are prior to 1970.

CBI said:
which ones???

bn1966 said:
Spill the beans! :mrgreen:

Sorry to keep you guys in suspense, but here are my observations. As to the earlier grey-lined L-2Bs, the Rolen 7448B and C models seem to be cut roomier and longer in the body than the Blue Anchor A and Skyline C. I've never tried the Tops Apparel B so I can't comment on this contract. There was also an Alpha C but I've never seen one in person, nor have I encountered the super-rare Great Lakes Garment Co. 7448.

One version of L-2B that appears to fit well consistently is the Skyline 7448F (DSA-1-4982) from FY 1964-65. Here's a representative shot of the label I found online:

image016.jpg

This model retains the epaulets and waist tab we all like, and in my experience it fits generously overall with ample body length. I have at least two in size Large and they seem to fit identically.

I also have an example from each of the following contracts:

Marshall Clothing Co. 7448G, DSA-100-277 (FY 1965-66)
Alpha Industries 7448H, DSA-100-69-C-0176 (FY 1968-69)

Both of these exhibit ample length in the body and have survived several "culls" based on their good overall fit, but I haven't seen enough of either type in person to state conclusively whether they run generous as a rule. While the Marshall is a fairly rare bird, the Skyline F seems to show up here and there. Of all the orange-lined versions, that's the one I'd bet on for a roomier fit with good body length.