• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RNZAF L-2B

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
When I first wanted a L-2B, I bought the first issued one I could find on eBay. Holes in the knits, and cuts in the nylon, but that was to check the size anyway.

Then I waited for another in good condition, paid more, but still it had holes, and a shredded cuff.

So plan B: The shipping is as much as the jacket, find one locally. Eventually that happens, a mint issued Alpha, size Large, and I'm happy. The owner told me it was RNZAF issued, which I discounted, and it wasn't patched.

Since then I have seen several with RNZAF patches, and assumed that they were added later. But I guess we were too lazy to make our own, I now have this one in the mail, and it looks real enough .....

RNZAFL-2.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tamoko said:
Gray lined more rare. BUT ! Orange lined fit much better ! my favorite from 1960+

True ... and even the L-2B's seem to vary, my first Medium Alpha from 1974, measured 21" without the band. The second from 1970 measured 20", and was otherwise identical.

And it didn't appear to have shrunk.

Atticus

David, I sometimes wonder if L-2bs didn't just shrink from wear. I have owned probably eight or nine of them spanning in date of manufature from 1955 or so until 1972, and there doesn't seem to be any way to predict their actual size by what is on the tag. For example, I have three, XL, 1972 Alphas that are nowhere near the same size---especially in the chest measurement.

I have noticed, though, generally Alphas are larger and longer than the other manufacturers, and the J-series jackets are more generous than anything before them.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It arrived today ... what a great little jacket, 1978 Alpha, size Small.

Bevan told me that I can't wear it with the patches. That's okay, I wouldn't want to be impersonating a photograper.

RNZAFL-2B.jpg

RNZAFL-2Baa.jpg

chrgod2

Cool patch! An eagle with an SLR, anchor, sword and the whole package! :)

The vintage nomex flight jackets are cool, unfortunately, I can hardly wear one.. As I have about 2mm long hair, I would have been considered a skinhead rascist. :D