• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rickenbacker flying coat

dinomartino1

https___airandspace.si.edu_webimages_collections_full_A19530062000CP03.jpg.jpg

Capt. Edward “Eddie” Rickenbacker was the United States’ top scoring ace of World War I. Prior to America’s entry in the war, Rickenbacker was a famed racecar driver. Because of this notoriety, he was offered the position of chauffeur to the commander of the American Army in France, General “Black Jack” Pershing.
Soon after his arrival in France in 1917, Rickenbacker captivated by flying and requested a transfer into the fledgling U.S. Army Air Service. Following flight training in Tours France, Rickenbacker was assigned to the famed 94th “Hat in the Ring” Aero Squadron.
While flying with the 94th Aero Squadron, Rickenbacker scored 26 confirmed victories.
On November 6, 1930, President Herbert Hoover presented the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military honor, to Rickenbacker for bolding attacking seven enemy airplanes alone and shooting down two of them on September 25, 1918.
Capt. Rickenbacker wore this flying coat while serving in France during World War I.

Smithy

An interesting thing to note with the USAS airmen was that they tended to favour slightly shorter length flying coats than were more commonly seen used by RFC/RNAS/RAF airmen.

Micawber

An interesting thing to note with the USAS airmen was that they tended to favour slightly shorter length flying coats than were more commonly seen used by RFC/RNAS/RAF airmen.

Influence of climate and weather on the ground perhaps?

Smithy

Influence of climate and weather on the ground perhaps?

Not sure Steve and I don't think anyone has ever been able to say why. But photos do seem to show that airmen in the US units tended to favour slightly shorter flying coats. Of course by the time the US arrived, in the British Air Forces the Sidcot was starting to make an appearance which was a far more practical and better garment to fly in. The full length British flying coats, although effective to a degree were ungainly things.

MikeyB-17

Flying coats of the time all seem to have a big map pocket on the left chest, usually a patch pocket, but this one is a wide slash pocket. It’s in excellent nick.

Smithy

Flying coats of the time all seem to have a big map pocket on the left chest, usually a patch pocket, but this one is a wide slash pocket. It’s in excellent nick.

The ones with the big diagonal map pocket on the chest are a very common feature on British flying coats Mikey, both the RFC issued patterns and the private purchase coats such as those made by Burberry, Gamages, Dunhill's, Robinson & Cleaver et al.

Micawber

Not sure Steve and I don't think anyone has ever been able to say why. But photos do seem to show that airmen in the US units tended to favour slightly shorter flying coats. Of course by the time the US arrived, in the British Air Forces the Sidcot was starting to make an appearance which was a far more practical and better garment to fly in. The full length British flying coats, although effective to a degree were ungainly things.

Yes but the longer the length the more dashing the appearance!

.. .I'll get me coat, a long one!

Can't do smileys on this phone.