• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Review: Langlitz Padded Pocket Columbia Medium Cowhide

les_garten

Review: Langlitz Padded Pocket Columbia off the Rack Sz 50 in Medium Cowhide

I've thrown up some pix of this jacket in reference to other jackets and feel this Jacket deserves it's own thread! Plus this just ain't that busy
of a sub-forum, so every little bit helps! I am getting ready to buy another Padded Pocket Columbia in Goatskin(Custom w/Mods) and will
Compare and Contrast the 2 jackets when I get the new one.

I bought this jacket off Fleabay about 5 years ago or so. Like most of my Jackets, it's been mainly hangin' out in my closet since then. South Florida doesn't have a lot of Jacket days, with the exception of riding days where you need the gear all the time. My bike has been laid up for a while and I am just getting back into addressing that project so been lookin' at my moto jackets again.So this is a 10 Pocket Padded Columbia in an off the Rack Size 50. It is Medium Cowhide. This jacket has no eapulettes, padded shoulders and elbows, Sam Brown Belt and Belt Loops, Left arm Bicep Pocket, Right Forearm Pocket, Chest Pocket, 2 handwarmers, Leather Lined Gun Pocket, Map Pocket, Wallet Pocket, armpit Hidden cash pocket.

Here's the product Page: http://www.langlitz.com/columbia/ Such that it is...

Leather: This jacket is a medium Cowhide. Which is basically heavier weight, or as heavy as everyone elses heavy Cow. Langlitz will spend some time trying to talk you out of buying their heavy cow, listen to them folks! You gotta be crazy to get this jacket in their heavy cow! The leather is pretty smooth, but not quite Glove smooth. I has a firm hand to it, but not overbearing or plasticky like some we know. I bought the jacket used so to me it feels pretty supple for it's weight/hand. Mine looks like all the Cow Columbias when I see pix of them. If you look at well used Columbias they all get that limp kinda look which makes for a comfortable wearing jacket. These jackets mold well to you. I really like the Leather of this jacket, I can;t imagine a moto jacket having nicer leather, except maybe Langlitz's Horse. I've never touched that, but the pix of it look great, but it is a $1200 upgrade! So that puts it outside of the realm of possibility for most of us. But if I were to unload my Cow, I would Love to try out their Horse.

Liner: A heavy Black Nylon that is very slick in feel, yet has a pronounced surface texture. Feels like Heavy Satin. Hard to describe, at least for me. Feels very high quality though and durable. The leather used to line the Gun pocket is the same as the Jacket, Medium Black Cow in his case. I've had a S&W .38 +P Airlite in there, I can also just Jam a Beretta 92FS in there but it's too big for it really. A Glock 23 .40 cal would fit, or a small 9mm like a SW MP Compact or Shield. The other pockets are lined with a heavy canvas or sailcloth kind of material. They also feel very durable and substantial.

Zippers/Hardware: The zips on mine are Langlitz branded pullers/zippers. I don't know who actually manufactures the zippers. They are really quality feeling zippers. The pullers are kinda 3D, absolutely gorgeous! Very. very, well done. The small pullers are a Bell shape and are really nice as well. I tried to get good pix of these because I would opt for them over Talons or anything else they would offer in my opinion. My next jacket from them wil have these zips. All the snaps on the Belt Loops, collar, windflap, etc are brass which takes on a beautiful patina to it. Some folks like Nickel hardware but I like the brass as seen here. Langlitz will do either one.

Cut: This is a Motorcycle jacket for riders. The sleeves unzipped come about to my knuckles. Put my arms out in front of me and they hit my wrists right at the base of my hand, perfect! The jacket is roomy throughout the shoulders, long in the back so it covers your lower back when you bend over. I didn't have the jacket made custom, but the sz 50 fits me perfectly. I would say this jacket is a slightly roomier cut. Could be the bi-swing and gussets make it feel that way. It also has the Laced gussets on the bottom sides of the jacket to accomodate "Paunch Creep". I usually wear a 48 in an Aero A-2, a 46 in a G&B 422A or LW A-2 if that helps. I wear a 45/46 Brooks Brothers Suit Jacket. 5'11 220-245, dependin'. The jacket with it's gussets helps with the seasonal paunch. On the Hat Longe, it was suggested by a guy who bought one that this jacket was for old Fat guys. I identified immediately with that statement! But they'll fit it however you want. The japanese Langlitz forums are chock full of skin tight fits. If you don't ride a bike, tell them that and they'll mod the fit for whatever else you would use this jacket for.

Here's some numbers for this off the Rack sz 50
Armpit - Armpit == 50"
Shoulder down the sleeve == 27"
Across the back == 23"
Bottom of Collar to down the back == 30"

Style: The original Columbia is a 1947 design by Ross Langlitz, which is as far as I can tell, is a copy of the Schott Perfecto 618 as worn by Marlon Brando in The Wild One. The Langlitz model has no "General's Stars", and has the addition of an integrated Kidney belt which is nice. There is also a Pocket Columbia version and the Padded Pocket Columbia version you see here. You either like this style or you don't. This style is the way it is for a reason though. This is foremost a motorcycle Jacket. The offset zipper makes a huge windflap behind the zipper. Wind has to navigate that huge fold to penetrate and make you cold while riding. Wind just can't get through. With the zipper half way down, you can fasten down the collar and let a little air in for cooling when it is hot.

Construction: Stitching and quality of materials is basically second to none. Anything happens to the Jacket, they'll fix it. You need it altered, they'll fix it. You don't like it, they'll take it back. There is just nothing to pick on here that I can see. I can't see how they could improve on anything. They will custom do anything you want. If you look over all the Japanese Langlitz pages you can see a lot of options that they don't list on their webpage and don't tell you about. You have to ask for them specifically. Do your homework before buying a Jacket from them. Look at a lot of their jackets on Google Images and make notes so that you know what to ask for when it comes order time. I would rate the overall construction as good or better than LW. Much better than Aero IMO, which ain't bad.

Customer Experience: I didn't order the jacket from them originally. But I've had a lot of conversation with Langlitz on my current jacket I am having them build for me. They've sent me tons of samples, catalogs, etc. over the years. I've read a lot of crazy good customer service stories from people on other forums. Just as an example, this is from the Hat Hangout>>

A guy makes a thread asking about LL jackets. Not sure he wants one, not sure about cow or goat, not sure about the style. Thinks he deosn't like the style. Thinks he's not sure about Goat. The guys on the thread totally talk him into buying a very expesnvie jacket assuring him he'll Love it. He'll Love the style, he'll Love the goat. He sounded totally trepidateous in hindsite. Gets the jacket and totally hates it. Hates the style, hates the Goat, wants Heavy Cow. Says it's a fat boys jacket. A lot of crying, and moaning and generallly Nancy behaviour going on. Just kidding, but you get the idea. They take the Jacket back with zero questions! A custom jacket! No Questions! Feel free to answer this thread with all the other companies who do this with your only out of pocket being return shipping! I double-dog dare ya! No, I triple-dog dare ya! There, it's been done, a Triple-Dog Dare!

Another guy who intentionally mis-measured trying to outsmart Langlitz, gets the jacket, and it's hugely oversized. He admits he was padding the measurements because he was worried it would be tight. They know how to size their jackets, don't try to outsmart them. They take the jacket back, make him another one in a different hide! He also changed from Goat to Cow! I bought a used Jacket on Fleabay and liked it so much I want to order a new one from them. They are doing things just dead on right. Their customers are their best salesman.

Customizing: They will basically do anything you want. They will also make other type of jackets you don't see on their webpage. Just ask them. I am kinda wanting them to do a Californian Half Belt type Jacket in Goat(Good Wear is in the running as well). Maybe I can get Tommer45 to dye it for me?

Now onto the PIX! These pix are linked. To see them at full resolution, click the pic, and then click again in your browser if you want to get all the detail.

mtds

Thanks for a very detailed post on an iconic motorcycle jacket. Exceptional pictures and post construction!

I wish we had a similarly detailed comparison post of W-collared motorcycle jackets from LW, Vanson, and Aero. Wouldn't that be something! As far as I know I've never seen, much less handled, a motorcycle jacket from LW or Aero and most of the posts about their products aren't very detailed. Fit issues seem to dominate the discussion when they come up.

les_garten

mtds said:
Thanks for a very detailed post on an iconic motorcycle jacket. Exceptional pictures and post construction!

I wish we had a similarly detailed comparison post of W-collared motorcycle jackets from LW, Vanson, and Aero. Wouldn't that be something! As far as I know I've never seen, much less handled, a motorcycle jacket from LW or Aero and most of the posts about their products aren't very detailed. Fit issues seem to dominate the discussion when they come up.

I got rid of my LW J24 Custom, but I still have the pix, so I'll do one of it as well. Good idea there!

Tommer45

I'm just reading this review for the first time... how about that, I got a shout out! Yes of course I'll dye your jacket for you... for $1000 (dye: $7, profit: $993).

This is an excellent review. Your lining is their heavier stuff.. I have this in my heavy cowhide Cascade. It's extremely durable. I have the other option in my straight-zip Cascade and it's lighter and more satin-like. Both are very nice.

Just like you said, Dave at Langlitz tried to talk me out of their heavy cow. I was used to mall jackets and wanted to go really heavy duty...you know, a real manly jacket. Heavy cow, heavy lining, the works. Needless to say I ordered the mid-weight stuff the second time around. Also, just like you mentioned, I ordered my first jacket pretty stock...and then started doing my research and came up with something I really wanted the second time around.

Anyway, great review and looking forward to pics of the newer jacket.

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
I'm just reading this review for the first time... how about that, I got a shout out! Yes of course I'll dye your jacket for you... for $1000 (dye: $7, profit: $993).

This is an excellent review. Your lining is their heavier stuff.. I have this in my heavy cowhide Cascade. It's extremely durable. I have the other option in my straight-zip Cascade and it's lighter and more satin-like. Both are very nice.

Just like you said, Dave at Langlitz tried to talk me out of their heavy cow. I was used to mall jackets and wanted to go really heavy duty...you know, a real manly jacket. Heavy cow, heavy lining, the works. Needless to say I ordered the mid-weight stuff the second time around. Also, just like you mentioned, I ordered my first jacket pretty stock...and then started doing my research and came up with something I really wanted the second time around.

Anyway, great review and looking forward to pics of the newer jacket.

Hey,
Glad to see you back posting. I patterned my Brown Goat Columbia a little after your Jacket. It is really nice. I do need to do the same review of my LW and the new Goat Columbia so that the web gets it before I lose the pix. That LL of yours is a real inspiration, hang onto it!

P.s. I'm savin' up for the dye job...

:lol:

Tommer45

les_garten said:
Hey,
Glad to see you back posting. I patterned my Brown Goat Columbia a little after your Jacket. It is really nice. I do need to do the same review of my LW and the new Goat Columbia so that the web gets it before I lose the pix. That LL of yours is a real inspiration, hang onto it!

I'm all about brown leathers.. I'd love to see some pics of the goat Columbia.

And funny story, I emailed Langlitz this week asking if they could change the collar on my dyed straight-zip Cascade to a dress collar, and Scott said they get so many people calling to order my exact jacket that he keeps a copy of the order on his desk. And he says unfortunately he has to tell everyone that the color was a custom dye job and not something they offer. I thought that was pretty cool to hear that the jacket was so popular... guess I need to hang onto that baby.

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
les_garten said:
Hey,

I'm all about brown leathers.. I'd love to see some pics of the goat Columbia.

And funny story, I emailed Langlitz this week asking if they could change the collar on my dyed straight-zip Cascade to a dress collar, and Scott said they get so many people calling to order my exact jacket that he keeps a copy of the order on his desk. And he says unfortunately he has to tell everyone that the color was a custom dye job and not something they offer. I thought that was pretty cool to hear that the jacket was so popular... guess I need to hang onto that baby.

Dude, I wouldn't touch that collar. That Jacket just needs another 20 years on it to be a monster drool maker!

I talked with them about the color as well, I also am a huge Brown Leather fan. Hence my fascination with Russet Flight Jackets.

I need to shoot some pix or a video of the Goatskin for sure. Comfortable right out of the brown paper wrapping.