• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring the colour in a leather jacket

fleet16b

Hello All
I have an ELC russet RW 1401P A2 that is becoming quite worn and scuffed.
Can anyone identify a good product that will restore the russet colour ?
I have tried Pecards russet colour product but it only lasts a few months after application

Thanks
Cam

a2jacketpatches

Re: Restoring the clour in a leather jacket

I once used KIWI Brown shoe polish to enhance a W&G from that milky washed out medium brown to a rich russet and it came out great. That stuff will stain the hide the same way it does your fingers. Also helps to melt it in with a heat gun.

fleet16b

a2jacketpatches said:
I once used KIWI Brown shoe polish to enhance a W&G from that milky washed out medium brown to a rich russet and it came out great. That stuff will stain the hide the same way it does your fingers. Also helps to melt it in with a heat gun.

That may work but I am worried that the shoe polish rub off and stain upholstry , car seats etc
Do you ever have a problem with that ?
Thanks.

P.S. was at Oshkosh this year and ran into Dick Cole .
He loved the 34th Bomber Sqn patch you made me for my A2
Got my oic taken with him while I am wearing my A2 :)

John Lever

Victor uses Bagcote on his jackets I am sure he can help with advice.

Silver Surfer

advice? dont do nuttn. the wear is natural, and any abrasion will eventually develop a kinda low sheen, just as originals have.

a2jacketpatches

fleet16b said:
a2jacketpatches said:

That may work but I am worried that the shoe polish rub off and stain upholstry , car seats etc
Thanks.

Don't think it would rub off after I melted it in but that is a thought. it could be tested first on a scrap piece of leather and a clean white cloth. Did you get him to autograph anything for you?

dmar836

Silver Surfer said:
advice? dont do nuttn. the wear is natural, and any abrasion will eventually develop a kinda low sheen, just as originals have.

I agree. Any negative look is due to the hide ELC used and not because of natural wear. It's just my opinion of course. How about posting some pics?
Dave

fleet16b

Thanks for the comments
Here are some pics of it from a previous thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9233
The jacket was purchased in 2003 and is a RW 1401P
The original finish is largely intact but after a couple thousand hrs flying vintage aircraft, there are many scruff scrapes etc that make the jacket look like its in need of treatment
Pecards antique russet does blend all again but does not last more than a few months
The jacket itself is strong and solid still , a great testament to ELC's quality.

a2jacketpatches

Disregard my suggestion, that's more restoring the finish than the color and you'd just end up with a different shade of same problem.

fleet16b

a2jacketpatches said:
fleet16b said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Thanks.

Don't think it would rub off after I melted it in but that is a thought. it could be tested first on a scrap piece of leather and a clean white cloth. Did you get him to autograph anything for you?

Yes after we had our pic taken together , he autographed the inside of my A2 inside the stitch circle of the patch you made me :D

derleicaman

I used Pecards Brown on a GW Cable Raincoat in Russet Goat. In a misguided attempt at Hot Water Treatment, the jacket finish was "streaky" where the dye had bled and washed out and did not look too good. Application of the Pecards Brown made the entire jacket much darker and not quite as reddish. The finish is now very uniform. It actually came out very nicely and has lasted for several years without any reapplication. I like the deeper brownish shade of the jacket much better than the kind of washed out finish of the original jacket. Could be that goat takes dye differently than horse.

foster

Well, during the war the depots would recondition them by painting a seal dye finish on them... But I wouldn't recommend it.

If I did anything I would probably just use some oil conditioner. It will briefly darken it back, but that will fade after a few hours or days.

HackerF15E

P1020255.jpg

I think it looks f'n magnificent exactly as is! Wear it well.

Silver Surfer

amen! leave it be, and wear the bjesus out of it. ya know, some guys work extra hard on their jacs to get them to look like that.

fleet16b

Ok you guys have convinced me
I will continue to use Pecards antique brown dressing for now
In the past I have had comments that the worn look makes the jacket look dried out but its not in any way
Maybe its just how the pics turn out
One day I will submit a detailed photo album of its worn condition for all to study

Thanks for all the comments and advice
You all have been very helpful

Cam

RayR

fleet16b said:
Thanks for the comments
Here are some pics of it from a previous thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9233
The jacket was purchased in 2003 and is a RW 1401P
The original finish is largely intact but after a couple thousand hrs flying vintage aircraft, there are many scruff scrapes etc that make the jacket look like its in need of treatment
Pecards antique russet does blend all again but does not last more than a few months
The jacket itself is strong and solid still , a great testament to ELC's quality.

Man, that's what it's supposed to look like. :eek:
I have one suggestion that has worked for me on various leather products, jackets, antique eyeglass cases, WW1 leather helmuts, highend handmade boots, etc. Look into a product called Obenauf's Leather Oil. It is an amazing protectant and on the back it says Warning, may darken some leather. It soaks right in and smells just like new, quality leather. They have a more heavy duty cream which I have not tried.

This will improve and protect it. But it wont replace the missing color.