• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring HH

dmar836

Yes, I bought the "worst A-2 to show up on Ebay in a long while" jacket. It should be tossed in the bin but I can't let that happen. I won't show full pics until I'm done(for fear of embarrassment)..... and maybe not even then! I have documented the condition and any steps I'm taking for a future post(assuming it turns out positively).

Here's a shot of the sleeve. The entire jacket is as worn and dry but the HH is intact. Conditioning will likely darken it but, with bare HH everywhere, is this a good case for acrylic oils to match the remaining color prior to any lube or conditioning? I have cleaned most of the jacket with Lexol pH but don't want to condition until I figure out the color issue. BTW, it's a J.A. Dubow.

IMG_6090.jpg

Also, is there any treatment to make old, faded paint "pop"? I know in some other of my hobbies, acrylic floor wax will intensify colors. Not suggesting that but are there any good results with intensifying vintage jacket paint? Will Lexol conditioner or Pecards do that at all? In the end, I'm not sure if I should condition over or just around the paint.
Just fishin' for tips,
Thanks,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Personally I like the look of it as it is, so I would just lightly condition with a cream type conditioner ... I use RM Williams, and this won't change the colour, just leave it with a dull sheen.

That's probably not what you're looking for. Other members here use Pecards, which will darken the worn patches, and give a more uniform result.

dmar836

Thanks. I may go the Pecards route as I'd rather not actually "modify" the jacket with color. I do want a complete turnaround though.
I'm sure some others have returned A-2s from the dead. I just couldn't find any projects using the search function.
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Aero leather sells (and you can get it in the states directly from the manufacturer) Leatherique. Different than Pecards, it's an oil rather than a paste. It will definitely soak into the leather and soften it. Amazingly so. It will definitely darken it as well. I bought a 422a that was very dry and after one application of the Leatherique, and a day to let it absorb, the jacket was noticeably more supple, soft and wearable. A second application made the jacket nearly as it would be new. A year later I sold the 422 and it was still just as soft. I'd buy some and try it on something less special first, see what you think of it, and then decide on your own if you're wanting to use it on this A2, but for me it's been good stuff.

Dan

dmar836

Interesting the way it supposedly "lifts" out dirt overnight. Anyone else used it? What about anything to clean/intensify the faded paint without fading it more?

rikitiki

If you are trying to even out the colored areas with the bare areas, try Pecard's Waterproof Brown. It's the same formula as Pecard's Classic/Antique with a russet/brown coloring added. Another option is Meltonian shoe cream available in a multitude of colors.

RayR

In an interview on denimbro.com, John Chapman of Good Wear said "...Only with really worn and dry vintage jackets will I ever use a conditioner. With those I use Vaseline, which is pH neutral...".
He didn't mention any darkening. I have tried it and it works fine. Personally, I use Pecards or Obenaufs Leather Oil precisely because they DO slightly darken the leather...ever so slightly. And that, too, will go away after a while. I look at it (on very old leather) as bringing back some of the original color of a newer jacket while leaving the contrast of fading and wearing caused by age. Plus Obenaufs makes it smell just like new leather :cool:

The article in full is here:

http://denimbro.com/john-chapman-of-good-wear-leather_topic1101.html

a2jacketpatches

The photo of the A2 sleeve that Dave posted initially seems to be worn off original color pigmented spray coating. There is no treatment that's gonna make it anything else but a treated worn off original pigmented coating. The lighter areas had a dye or pigmented top coat that is now gone and just about any treatment will make the darker and lighter areas darker. They will never lose the contrast between eachother. Restoring the finish would require carefully applying a similar finish to seal the exposed HH with color pigment. A possible solution would be a high quality acrylic opaque paint with a bonding agent.

ButteMT61

I've used Placards too for years. But after I read JC's piece, I've been using Vaseline on the jackets once a year.
I rub it into my hands and warm the jacket in the sun first. Sounds gross, but it works great. And no smells, etc.
Seems to absorb much better than other stuff and I'm sticking with it.

dmar836

I keep thinking I need to moisturizer this jacket annually until it gets "caught up". I don't think I've done it again since the start of this thread. Maybe once before a display.
I think I'll try Vaseline this winter since I don't wear these.
Thanks for uprooting this thread - I need the accountability.
Dave

dmar836

With a really dry jacket it's as if one could just moisturize it over and over. But the dry look quickly returns. At some point further oilings don't help as the leather doesn't drink it up as quickly any more
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Must be because it gets saturated with the conditioner and the wet / darker appearance fades. As stated earlier, the top coat finish will never be restored using conditioner, that top coat of sealant needs to be replaced. After multiple applications of conditioners containing oils and moisturizers it may be impossible for any top coat to adhere. That dry look will just keep coming back and any further moisturizing of the leather will result in the same thing.

dmar836

Yeah, that's not really a concern on this painted jacket. I'm okay with the way it responds to treatment. Old question.
Thanks,
Dave