• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro knits

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

This thread is in no way meant to be disrespectful toward any of the repro makers out there.

What I'm looking for is the way the various knits used by the repro makers wears - do they last, do they remain taut or do they sag like seen by the guy in the right wearing the original, are they made from the correct material, etc.

A-2OriginalWaistbands.jpg

I'll start with the historic Gibson and Barnes as that's who have made my jackets.

Gibson and Barnes knits

Made from pure worsted wool - hold their elasticity after wearing for 3+ years - some pilling (fur balls) depending on what is worn underneath - if wearing those knitted track pants there is some pilling otherwise minimal - almost none.

They look like originals and like G&B's leather, they're bullet proof - no sign of wearing while having a watch with a bezel and stainless wristband.

Color seems to be well suited to their seal and russet leathers.

Ok, Folks - keep it going please.

Cheers,
Bill French

jack aranda

Hi, Bill:
I'll keep with G & B for the moment. I had one of their A-2's, the stock version, non-historical. So the knits were not wool, but some synth-blend. They pilled pretty quickly and got slack. BTW, the jacket was my size, but huge through the waist; room for another me in there. That is why I ultimately let it go. Well made, but, sloppy looking with too much jacket and too little me.

bfrench

Administrator
jack aranda said:
Hi, Bill:
I'll keep with G & B for the moment. I had one of their A-2's, the stock version, non-historical. So the knits were not wool, but some synth-blend. They pilled pretty quickly and got slack. BTW, the jacket was my size, but huge through the waist; room for another me in there. That is why I ultimately let it go. Well made, but, sloppy looking with too much jacket and too little me.

Hi, Jack,

The G&B jackets do run large through the waist area - modern pattern to fit the ever increasing average build.

The G&B historic jackets have the wool knits - the other jackets have the textured nylon knits which sag and collect fur balls.

Cheers,
Bill French

Falcon_52

On my Eastman Werber, the knits are wool and after 2 years the elasticity has not really faded much if at all.

The knits on my US Authentic A-2 on the other hand have too much elasticity even after three years. I believe that they are also wool knits. Sometimes I wish they would give up just a little bit so they didn't grab my waist like a python - it makes the jacket baggy around the waist.

Noel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Okay, a plug for the Real McCoy's, the knits stay like new forever.

Well so far, anyway .... and the G-1 must be 15 years old.

greyhound52

I like the G and B knits. RMNZ also makes great ones as well. Both serve the purpose and hold up very well. Of course then there is my original Aero with the original knits which are still holding up very well after 60 plus years. Hmmm wonder who supplied those.