• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Irvin comparison photos

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

I thought it might be good to show a few comparison photos of one of my Irvin jackets next to an original. The original is dated 1943, and isn't the jacket I used to make the pattern (that jacket was from 1941), but I think it works well for a general comparison.

Comparison-1.jpg

Comparison-2.jpg

Also, here are a couple of photos of mine next to an Eastman jacket, plus a comparison of sleeves (Eastman, original, mine).

Comparison-5.jpg

Comparison-4.jpg

Comparison-3.jpg

I know that there's such a lot of variation when it comes to original Irvins, and other repros, but hopefully this is interesting.

Cheers,

Jon

John Lever

I have always preferred the panel configuration of the 42 patt to the 40 patt Eastman, somehow the seams compliment the shape of the jacket. Diagonal seams don't work quite so well IMO.

Andrew

rich said:
I would say you've nailed it, it looks spot on to me.

...and this also clearly shows the Eastman balloon sleeves- way too wide and the fleece too thick.

Jon, will you have any options with regard to the colour of the finish you are able to get? Nice colour on the outer of that orig, but I prefer the darker colour of your fleece.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
...and this also clearly shows the Eastman balloon sleeves- way too wide and the fleece too thick.

They don't look so bad ... isn't it Aero with the reputation for stovepipe sleeves?

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Andrew said:

They don't look so bad ... isn't it Aero with the reputation for stovepipe sleeves?

I've not personally seen an Aero but the shots posted here by JL definitely look incorrect not having the right shape, but I have briefly owned an ELC 1940 pattern and the sleeves were definitely larger, bulkier and from my experience just wrong. It just did not compare to the shape of an original jacket. So Aero sleeves= stovepipe, ELC = balloon. :lol: It's probably something you have to see first hand.

Jon's on the other hand look great.

jonnyboy

The Eastman sleeves do definitely seem wide, compared to originals. It could be that the original jacket they used for their pattern had particularly wide sleeves though.

The details, colour, and patterns of originals vary a lot, and people seem to vary too in their preferences. I think it's hard to pin down an 'ideal' pattern for a repro Irvin. What I'm aiming to do is start off by making a fairly typical pattern, in terms of shape, colour, etc. I'll then be looking to make other 'maker' jackets, with features exhibited by those jackets (different wool and outer surface colours, different panel configurations, yellow hood, etc).

Cheers,

Jon