• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

repro B-9

omarco

I'd love to get my hands on a B-9 repro. I love the weight of down jackets and I love the style. They are pretty expensive and I haven't seen them talked about much if at all. Any fans out there? which is the one to get?

I can't afford one at the moment but I'd like to get one eventually, any second hand ones out there?

Cheers.

Peter Graham

To the best of my knowledge the only repro maker to do a B-9 is BR and as you say, they are very expensive. A nice original would cost less but you might have to search for a while. Maybe you could source a used repro from the yahoo Japan auctions. How it works is a mystery to me but I know some folks here use it regularly.

Tim P

There is another maker doing them, Eddie Bauer I think....maybe not currently but recently for sure

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
There is another maker doing them, Eddie Bauer I think....maybe not currently but recently for sure

Eddie Bauer made original B-9's but their recent offering is one of those " in the spirit of " jackets. It would be stretching it to call it a repro.

TankBuster

I agree with Peter! You should be able to buy a
really nice original for less than a buzz repro. Just
keep watching eBay.

omarco

thanks for the links! I'm a size medium which in the jp repro's makes me a 38. I haven't quite figured out the Japanese Yahoo auctions either but I'll try and take a look.

I know its counter to what many here feel but I do prefer a decent modern repro over an original, that said that size 40 original on eBay looks to be a bargain.

I had a dig about and it seems RMJ also do one.. for £700. Way out of my price range.

unclegrumpy

omarco said:
I know its counter to what many here feel but I do prefer a decent modern repro over an original, that said that size 40 original on eBay looks to be a bargain.
I would say that size 40 looks really close to going in the trash bin. You have to be careful, because the mouton on these can rot. Originals also generally run a little big, because they were made to go over a uniform, and that tends to be more bulk than what people normally have on today.

unclegrumpy

Peter Graham said:
It's one of those postwar vaguely B-9ish jackets that turn up with monotonous regularity. Check out the split hood, B-11 style cuffs and postwar zipper, plus lack of label. With cloth jackets, if it aint got a label, run away !
Excellent points!

foster

Peter Graham said:
Tim P said:

Eddie Bauer made original B-9's but their recent offering is one of those " in the spirit of " jackets. It would be stretching it to call it a repro.

Agreed. At one time I thought I wanted one, until I happened to be in one of their stores and had a look. They offer it now, but it is not something I would spend money on.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... hInfo=null

omarco

I don't know what's happened to me, I'v become a bit obsessed with cloth and nylon. Having sold a couple of jackets and made a little room i'm on the look out for a b-9 repro but also looking for a Buzz N3-b.. never thought I'd see the day!

Peter Graham

omarco said:
I don't know what's happened to me, I'v become a bit obsessed with cloth and nylon. Having sold a couple of jackets and made a little room i'm on the look out for a b-9 repro but also looking for a Buzz N3-b.. never thought I'd see the day!

I know where you're coming from. For me cloth and nylon, especially cloth, is where it's at.