• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro 1930s USN flight jacket

bazelot

I just bought this jacket. I am not a big repro fan but they are good looking jackets and practical. I had been looking for one for a while. I haven't received it yet but I think they are well constructed. Anybody has any experience with those jackets?
Hopefully it will fit otherwise it will be listed in the Buy section :)

435352030_o.jpg

435352018_o.jpg

435351989_o.jpg

435351976_o.jpg

435352059_o.jpg

dujardin

nice one,

also not an expert, i think this is a good replica.
maybe not 100 % accurate to an original, i really don't know ; but she looks great.
hope she's well done and bring you joy when wearing

byeee marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Nice looking jacket, Tom. The visible difference to an original 37J1, is the lack of inverted pleats on the pockets ... it's fine without them, and it captures the look.

Good luck with the sizing. ;)

bazelot

deeb7 said:
Nice looking jacket, Tom. The visible difference to an original 37J1, is the lack of inverted pleats on the pockets ... it's fine without them, and it captures the look.

Good luck with the sizing. ;)

Yes it does look like a faithful repro. I really wonder how they fit as the sleeves look short. THe inverted pleats would have been nice. Willis and Geiger made a repro of the same jacket back in the 80s and this one had the pleats.

zoomer

Avirex only made the more unusual jackets for the Asian market. That may explain the supershort sleeves.

Notice there's no "37J1" on the label. At the time, probably, no one knew there had even been a Type 37J1, and were going by photos for the design. Probably true of W&G as well, whose repro was sold in the USA.

I own a W&G, in a tan twill fabric (no USN stencil, as some have). It has the pleated pockets, as well as a zipper that goes all the way to the collar top. The collar itself is way over neck size, and looks awkward either open or closed.

Grant

Buzz Rickson made a good 37J1 years ago so I doubt it's that no one knew about them. More like the usual Avirex making a loose interpretation (half ass) repro of an original jacket.

asiamiles

One major difference between this and originals (and more accurate repro's) is the outer shell which should be Bedford Cord.

bazelot

Yeah it's not a perfect re pro but it should make a good beater jacket when leather is not an option (ie. rain). It is far from an accurate repro but since I am not expecting too much I should not be disappointed :)

bazelot

I just got the jacket. First thing that struck me is how light the jacket is. The fit is really good, body is really short (probably shorter than my original A-2). All in all not a bad summer jacket. It has pleats (like the M-422A) in the back (original jackets did not have any).
Also it has handwarmers :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: but you cannot see them as they are concealed in the front pocket seam.
I will put a WWII talon puller instead of the horrid YKK puller. For the price i got it for I am quite satisfied with it.
Next step is to get an original :)

zoomer

I think the last one to come to market was about 4 years ago. link
It fetched, like, four figures. $1k, 2k, 4k, I can't recall.

Actual water-repellent Bedford cord jungle cloth is now proprietary to one Japanese mfr., IIRC. And they're not doing any 37J1's.

Grant

Actually a buddy of mine picked up an original for around $99 last month on ebay. It was poorly listed so it most of you nerds (me included) missed it.

bazelot

Grant said:
Actually a buddy of mine picked up an original for around $99 last month on ebay. It was poorly listed so it most of you nerds (me included) missed it.

Do you have a link to the auction? I would love to see it.

bazelot

zoomer said:
I think the last one to come to market was about 4 years ago. link
It fetched, like, four figures. $1k, 2k, 4k, I can't recall.

Actual water-repellent Bedford cord jungle cloth is now proprietary to one Japanese mfr., IIRC. And they're not doing any 37J1's.

thanks for the info. The original jackets look like they were very durable.

bazelot

Grant said:
Sure, here it is. Sorry, he got it for $94...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1099

bazelot said:
Grant said:

Do you have a link to the auction? I would love to see it.

Holy #$&^%!!!!
That's what I call a deal. Now I am kicking myself in the butt for not seeing it. I can't believe there were 10 bids and no one bid higher than $94!!!!
Thanks for sharing, it was badly listed but easy to find.

SuinBruin

An original 37J1 for under $100? Crazy. He should be able to flip it for a pretty big profit if he's so inclined.

Members online

Latest posts