• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing a Zipper

SteveN

Anybody know how? Is it something you can do yourself, or does it take a professional?

Cheers,
- Steve

T-Bolt

Hi Steve,

Personally I would never have the guts to try replacing a zipper. If you get off a bit in your sewing it will be pretty noticeable. Also the two sides must line up properly or the front will look goofy. If you have a fair amount of sewing machine time, go for it......but I would have a pro do it......but that's just me. Maybe some others will have a different opinion. :cool:

Ted

SteveN

T-Bolt said:
If you have a fair amount of sewing machine time...

Thanks. That quote just made me chuckle. It's hard enough finding a women nowadays that can spell 'sewing', (or 'cooking' for that matter :-( makes me glad to live in Asia/Pacific), so the thought of a man behind a sewing machine seems a bit funny....

SteveN

bazelot

SteveN said:
T-Bolt said:

Thanks. That quote just made me chuckle. It's hard enough finding a women nowadays that can spell 'sewing', (or 'cooking' for that matter :-( makes me glad to live in Asia/Pacific), so the thought of a man behind a sewing machine seems a bit funny....

SteveN

I replaced all my zippers by hand. It takes you around 2 hours to do it manually but at least you get what you want and you need to pay the hefty price. this way also you can stitch over the existing holes.

kevlarg

bazelot said:
SteveN said:
T-Bolt said:

SteveN

I replaced all my zippers by hand. It takes you around 2 hours to do it manually but at least you get what you want and you need to pay the hefty price. this way also you can stitch over the existing holes.

As in, needle and thread hand stitched?

kevlarg

bazelot said:
kevlarg said:
[quote

As in, needle and thread hand stitched?

Yup.

So I am thinking about attempting to stitch in replacement cuffs by hand so I can use the original holes. I have done some research and found that the "backstitch" is used when a strong stitch is needed that approximates a machine stitch. There are descriptions and pictures but I think I am going to need to practice since there will be 3 layers involved (liner, cuff, leather). Any pointers?

Happy Hooligan

do it by hand. Use the existing holes.

It took me 2 years till I finally put a patch on my A2. And I didn't trust anyone to do it so I did by hand my self. As I suspect most service men did.