• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Related A-2 makers

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Well I saved this last time, so I'm saving it again.

Here's a post that I made some time ago on VLJ 3. I'm saving it from the demolition, because of the interesting replies from John, and
Grant ............

Some time ago I read the history of I. Spiewak & Sons on the Internet. Now I cannot find my source, but briefly this is what I remember.

Isaac Spiewak started out by making, and selling sheepskin vests on the streets of Brooklyn. Eventually setting up, and running, his successful New Jersey based garment factory. By now with six sons, he became concerned that this was rather too many to inherit the factory. So he encouraged them to set up competing businesses.

One of these sons formed United Sheeplined Clothing Co.

At the time I assumed that this was common knowledge in the Flight Jacket world, but I have never seen it mentioned on the forum. It of course explains why their consecutively numbered contracts share some unusual features, such as the top shoulder seams, and inset sleeves. Dad probably loaned out his patterns.

~ David
buzzthetower said:
Hi David,

This is what Michael Spiewak told me...

"My Great-Grandfather, Isaac started quite a number of outerwear companies during WWII...he had lots of sons, son-in-laws, etc. Bronco was actually Pete and Murry Spiewak, Isaac's younger sons, United Sheeplined Clothing (my Grandfather's brother in law and his cousin) and many others."

Hope that helps,
John]

Hello John, and thankyou.

So Bronco as well? I see, again the same features. What an interesting family they are.

I'm hoping you have all this info saved up for the book!

~ David

Grant said:
John,
Thanks for the info on the Spiewak legacy - fascinating stuff. A woman who worked at the old Aero factory in Beacon told me a similar story. She said that Aero was also a family run business and well before the war one of the family relatives decided to strike out on their own so they moved across the Hudson to Newburgh and started their own business - Werber Sportswear.

Grant

Roughwear

This is great David. I guess one could also mention the likely link between Aero and Poughkeepsie, with Poughkeepsie being in some way linked to Aero.

spitfirejkb

Hi guys, i'm new around here so firstly a big hello to all.

On the subject of Aero and Poughkeepsie i've noted the Aero Leather Scotland have an original Poughskeepsie (they believe) for sale but without label. They state that they have replaced it with an Aero contract label. Is this a suitable thing to do in your opinion? Or would it be best left out.

What exactly is the link between Poughkeepsie and Aero?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Roughwear

There are very strong similarities between original Aero A2s and Poughkeepsie A2s. Geographically the companies were located near each other. I read somewhere that Poughkeepsie was an off-shoot of Aero.

The Poughkeepsie on the Aero website is a refurbished jacket which they put an Aero label on. It has been for sale for a good couple of years but has not sold as it is over-priced IMO. Of course the Scottish firm merely bought up the Aero rights and has no connection with the original company in Beacon NY.

zoomer

It's a close-knit business. It just is. That explains why a lot of the inside info isn't available to us. Everybody concerned "took it with them."