• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reed Products Type B-9

Peter Graham

I know the AAF parkas are not the most popular of WW2 flight jackets but I've always had a soft spot for them, probably because they are well suited to the harsh Irish winters, and springs, and autumns ! Last year, with the help of Brooks I bought a well used B-11 which, after a little restoration proved to be practical superwarm winter jacket. I've always hankered after a B-9 and after a long search found this really nice example. It's original owner was a Hank Edlund who served with the 8th Airforce and was awarded the Purple Heart. The jacket has very little wear at all. As opposed to the alpaca lining of the B-11 it's lined with down filled quilted rayon which gives a much snugger fit. It appears to be a late war model as the usual mouton lined hood as been despensed with to make way for a more mundane alpaca trimmed quilted hood. The single marked Talon zipper also points to it being late war.
b-9002.jpg

b-9003.jpg

b-9004.jpg

b-9005.jpg

b-9001.jpg

bombs away

I agree with you Peter, these parkas are not too sought after, but I like them too.
The quality is really good. They were well worn in cold areas.
And yours seems in the best condition. Congrats !

2417101734_fa7a4d2b38_o.jpg

Tim.

Flightpath

Jamesp said:
Almost every kind of US flight jacket in one picture!

Yep,
that's a great photo, a real classic photo for WW2 USAAF flight jacket referance!

Anyone famous there?

cheers,

-John

Rufus

Deadly jacket Peter! I love the B9.

My Dad had one he got from his stepfather who'd served in RN during the war. He's traded it with a GI for alcohol rations.

I'd love to get one too... and hey.... I'm your size! ;-)

I've seen a few on the bay...most get one soon...

:) rufus

Peter Graham

For some reason, the price of B-9's has rocketed recently. They are now on a par with B-10/B-15 prices, and it's summer, which makes it even more odd.