• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Redye" or "The ELC Star that just won't go away"

dmar836

Thanks to tips, mostly from JC, this jacket is making a comeback.
I know many didn't think a redye was necessary but pics could not show the damaging "accelerated wear" like one can see in person.
I am not a huge ELC fan in the relative sense and I think we all know who's work I prefer...... Nonetheless, it was advice from "the preferred one" that gave me the guts to do this. Even his advice on the color to use was spot on - and this from the crappy pics I had posted!
Before:
2011-12-14_2011-12-14_001_022.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

After some "correct" accelerated break-in and 1st dye application:
IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

IMG_8141.jpg

This is just the first phase of this. I broke it in this afternoon just two hours after applying the last of the dye with a flight (including stalls, spins, and a killer sunset!). I tossed a towel over the seats of the car and plane but could see no rub off.
The worn areas will always have to be lighter but another coat of dye and maybe some Bick's for a top finish. After that some more "proper" hand distressing. Then, to paint or not to paint?

Dave
Kansas City

Marv

Excellent work Dave, I think it looks pretty good with just the one coat, love the undertones showing underneath......however, like you mentioned before you may not get the true effect from a photo, the Star looks great in my opinion.

Good luck with the rest of the process, very interested to see the finished product.

Roughwear

Already the jacket has been given a new lease of life. I'm impressed Dave. Well done. Did you apply the dye with a paint brush?

dmar836

Here it is after the second coat of dye. I didn't need to be too terribly detailed as this stuff doesn't streak too easily. You can leave streaks but if you go over it all in a circular pattern it all blends very well. Two rides in the car, a plane flight, and church this am and no rub-off noticed at all!

IMG_8144.jpg

Here are the applicators I used. The dish sponge is much coarser and I used that almost entirely for the second application(of course not the scrubby side at all). The other is part of a foam brush cut up(for other reasons). I used that one for the first application as it allowed more control and applied it more smoothly, with a velvety feel and with fewer streaks. If I had to go with one applicator it would be this one. The wedge shape is helpful when getting close to the liner, zip, seams, etc.

IMG_8142.jpg

Don't worry about dye on the collar hooks and snaps. A little alcohol on a rag with rub it right off. I didn't go too detailed there (just the visible areas) as I figured wear would do more defining of the edges of the hardware and alcohol would likely remove it later as well. At all costs avoid the zipper tape and knits! I did touch an epaulette slightly on it's is a raw front edge. A razor knife easily scraped it raw again after it was dried. I don't think that would work if you ran it all along a raw edge so be careful!

FYI, This last photo was only about 45min after I was done. The wind blew the half-mannequin over onto some grungy 60s motorcycle pipes and then onto the onto dirty deck. No scratches from the fall that I could find!

I'll post again when and if I seal it with the Bicks. I'll wear it to work tonight - no problem.

Dave

ausreenactor

Not at all, I think it looks great. You have had a hand in the way it looks and now you
can top it off with your choice of artist and design. 100% you & 100% keeper!!

Sorry if the intent of the post came off the other way..

Couchy

dmar836

Not at all. It's my own thing. Kinda like a tattoo - I'd have to have a real good attachment to what it stands for and be okay with the permanency. I have a hard time committing any art to a jacket unless it's a cheap, easily replaced one.
Dave