Real or Fake original A-2?

Discussion in 'eBay / Auction Talk' started by ludospeed, May 27, 2017.

1. ludospeed

ludospeed Member

2. ludospeed

ludospeed Member

Copy and paste this announce on Ebay :

**_-** Original WW2 A-2 Flight Jacket Size 44 USAAF Army Air Forces CBI **-_**

Thank you.

3. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Active Member

The back stitch on the patch and name tag shows that they've obviously not been on the jacket for all that long

ludospeed likes this.
  4. ludospeed

ludospeed Member

Ok Ken, but it's a original A-2?
    Thank you.
    :)

5. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

Here is my take on it ,its a real one that is supple enough to be a user .So the owner has had it restored new label liner and knits . Its a big size so its been used by the owner who restored it . Here is the problem when you replace worn out parts of the jacket ,but who want to wear a ratty liner over good clothes with moth eaten knits . Now its not original and people think it has been doctored to improve its value .

BIP

ludospeed likes this.
  6. ludospeed

ludospeed Member

Ok.
    Thank you.
    :)

7. Ken at Aero Leather

Yes without any doubt, the patches look right too, pity they've only recently met each other.

ludospeed likes this.
  8. ludospeed

ludospeed Member

Thank you Ken.
    ;)

9. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Yes it is an original 1941 Aero.

10. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

the whole package looks right. yeah, there was once a different patch on the chest and was replaced with what it on there now. this was done often during the war as guys were transferred from one outfit to another. it all looks legit. anyone know the patch?

11. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

1st Bombardment Squadron(Provisional) C.A.C.W.

12. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

13. Ken at Aero Leather

sorry, I can't agree

Obviously the current patch isn't the first one on this jacket and, of course changing, moving patches was fairly common, especially in the CBI Theater but I stick 100% with my original opinion..............The back stitch on the patch and name tag show that they are a fairly recent addition..............without wishing to sound condesending in any way , I do know a thing or two about stitching :>)

ausreenactor likes this.
  14. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

You can see from the lining that the original chest patch was apparently on there much longer or worn more and left more of an impression than this one. How long this one has been there is questionable given the relatively short history of the C.A.C.W. The patch sort of looks intentionally "crusterized"(while it's khaki stitching doesn't) but it could be as right as rain. It's easy to criticize as we will never know the truth but generally newly/period applied patches were pretty bright and punchy-looking even if unpainted. This patch is obviously a replacement patch(regardless of the period) and would have survived in better shape. For one to age and yellow like that is a great and appropriate look but you should expect to see this patina plus some over the whole (older) jacket. That's where I would look. The liner sure doesn't look salty and none of the expected close-up collector shots are there - collar, name label, stitching. Amazing it's liner and zip are in such great shape!
    I'd sure want to know more about the history of the original owner before plunking down too much on it. Might be more valuable as an original Aero with some old stitch holes. After all, these same questions, close scrutiny of the stitching, etc., will always follow this jacket.
    JMO,
    Dave

15. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

Current bidding suggests most believe it's totally legit and original, how many from VLJ though?

16. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Not me Wayne. I suspect it will go for around £1400-£1600.

17. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

About the price of a new top repro, which given the provenance or rather not of this one, think I rather have the repro!!

18. PADDY_M

PADDY_M Active Member

I'm with Ken on this.

19. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

20. Ken at Aero Leather

Yet another from a UK Seller. This always sets off warning bells for a good reason.
    In the late 1970s/early 80's there was a British collector of USAAF insignia who stripped the insignia from A-2s and sold them on with the patches missing, most of those were bought by The Thrift Shop, we maybe bought as many as 200 or 300 from him over 7 or 8 years, most we resold "as they were" like the one Eastwood just found, but lots customers had us fit replacement insignia to cover the bare unmached areas.
    Most of these replacements were original as he also sold off his "duplicates" but we did use replica paches too............not to defraud, but to meet a customer's budget.