Real McCoys has clout on ebay

Discussion in 'eBay / Auction Talk' started by John Lever, Jan 7, 2018.

1. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Listed my LW Anj4 a couple of days ago. Same as everyone else I included Eastman, Aero and Real McCoys in the title. Had a message today from eBay that as a valued eBay member my listing had been edited and not removed. The use of Real McCoys is NOT allowed.
    I actually was using RMNZ as a name but I suspect RMJ has power over eBay.
    My question to eBay is ' Why can fake goods purporting to be from Aero and Eastman be allowed when I used the name of a now defunct company ? '

2. Persimmon

Persimmon Active Member

John
    I had a similar issue a while back when I listed a jacket.
    It was a Kelso jacket. When I added in Aero and Eastman to promote the listing I had a email to have the listing edited to remove Eastman !
    Perhaps it’s a random “power over eBay “

3. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Perhaps it's a Bot ?

4. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

Yep, I had the same about 18 mths ago when selling an Aero M422 and an ELC steerhide A1 and on both 'ads' I included something they didn't like!

5. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

There's no rhyme or reason to it. I listed a German helmet a month ago. I duly covered the swastika on the shield with a sticker. About eight hours after the listing went live they removed it, annoyingly it had 27 watchers and 2 bids. I got an email saying that I had violated their policy relating to Nazi items. I phoned them and had a rather heated discussion where I pointed out that ebay was full of Nazi items, many with the swastika showing. Didn't make any difference. I think it's just a random thing but they won't admit that. However, I got the last laugh. One of the bidders contacted me to ask why it had been removed and I arranged with them that I would list it with a BIN at 10pm that night. I listed it again and the buyer was on it within minutes, before ebay could remove it again, so stuff them !

6. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Nice one Peter ;)

7. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Perhaps eBay were given an offer they couldn't refuse?

8. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

ya dun gud. greedbay? fuckem

robrinay and ButteMT61 like this.
  9. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Anyone who sneaks one by EBay is my hero! Good job Peter!

robrinay and ButteMT61 like this.
  10. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Glad you were able to move it but who won? EBay will take the do-gooder road and boast that they suppress "hate" and yet still got their cut of this deal.

I've had the same happen to me - years later I still have that field police officers cap.

Dave

11. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

I believe that as soon as a “self nominated Sheriff “ and I tend to believe there are many of them arround, complains, Ebay checks it out because... it’s private sellers ...against business sellers... somehow...and maybe because of more income from the business seller...Ebay acts.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  12. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

I think it's because RMJ has a VERY BIG stick

Pilot likes this.
  13. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

....and pay a lot of fees for the listings of the 3k or so jackets from Japan

14. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

I was thinking more of horses heads in beds

Pilot likes this.
  15. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

Another good reason not to go into bed with ebay...

16. colekwok

colekwok Active Member

As far as I understand, it's because they try to stop people from placing names/brands onto items which are obviously not. We all know that this will increase the search hits as people who search for ELC jackets would also be interested to RMC jackets as well. As for the swastika, it might be some idot just made a complain to Ebay to catch their attention. There are so many people who simply have too much time......

Pilot likes this.
  17. Persimmon

Persimmon Active Member

Of course that’s the reasoning. Sellers want and are endeavouring to sell their item and attract the widest audience.
    Sonehow eBay now see this format as a incorrect listing as it misinterprets the branding.
    Of course if the item listing was left alone and did attract more folks and a higher price is achieved that would increase eBays percentages with increased overall revenues for them.
    Maybe the bean counters there are hammered by the PC crowd.

18. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

Well said!

19. asiamiles

asiamiles Active Member

I must admit I don't know the numbers, but I do know that I and many people I know who used to sell on eBay rarely bother these days. So if they're wondering why business is down, maybe they need to take a look at themselves and think why sellers find it an unwelcoming sales platform. I hardly ever look for and purchase items from there either, with Yahoo Japan Auctions being a far safer bet and having items more geared to my taste...also the hike in International postage fees from the US make buying a lot of stuff from the States prohibitive.

Pilot likes this.
  20. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

If you bed yourself with ebay, be prepared to sleep with dead horse heads...see an earlier comment.
    Good items, with market prices, sell without Ebay.