• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real mc Coys New Zealand update

John Lever

I spoke to Bevan recently and tried to find out if he knew anything about the future of RM. The only thing he could say was that everything was packed into a 40 ft container and sent off shore. By everying I assume to be patterns samples and machines. Two of the team will monitor production and oversee quality control.
Any ideas ?

dmar836

Wow. Times, they are a changin'. I have never owned one of their products but, in this global economy we all support, I guess it was inevitable. It makes one wonder who will be the "low-wage workers" in 20 years. Things are unlikely to stay the same.
Dave

John Lever

I don't think it was wages but exchange rates and import duty that forced them to move. The $NZ had been very strong for several years so they found it difficult to compete. Their main market was Japan but I don't know how much that was an issue.
The sheepskins they are using are simply amazing.

DiamondDave

Hm, will be interesting to see where they land.

China is become tough as they are charging more and more for Chinese made goods... perhaps Indonesia? Vietnam?

DD

dmar836

I predict India at some point. Right now their goods are pretty bad but so were Japan's and China's(a lot is still horrific). As competition increases, wages rise, and expectations/cost of living increases, even China will pass the baton to another.
Incidentally, was in on a group buy of replica Yamaha "Kenny" racing jackets made back in '02ish and they came from the UAE, I think Dubai. Nicely done with patches, removable armor, lining. Was around $250. Matching leather racing gloves made it $300. Very reasonable. Yamaha's production was $6-800 ish.
I hate to see those who love their craft forced out of business.
Just sayin'
Dave

Persimmon

It's a pity you banned Platon otherwise he might perhaps be telling you it's another string to the Bill Kelso
stable in Greece.

John Lever

Andy Falzon doesn't know where RM are going(at least that is what he told me ). It's a he'll of a commute from NZ to check on production :lol:

Otter

I still think we should let him back, but restricted to this section only. :?

Say what you like, he did have a good knowledge of leather, even if he did use it for self promotion. Besides, we need a pinata ! :D

John Lever

It's interesting how many manufacturers are using Shinki horsehide and Badalassi cowhide these days, RMNZ started using them over 10 years ago.

colekwok

John Lever said:
It's interesting how many manufacturers are using Shinki horsehide and Badalassi cowhide these days, RMNZ started using them over 10 years ago.

Yes, very interesting indeed. Shinki HH used to be the cheaper alternative to Horween, and now it sounds like it is THE best hide that you can get?

Vcruiser

Yeah. You can take it Ken.
I've never noticed you to ever wimp out with your tail between you legs. Just isn't in your character.. ;)

John Lever

Well done Denny. I don't like this sort of outrage by proxy and automatic dislike of successful companies. Unfortunately it's a very British thing.

TOMG1401

In your original post John, you asked " Any ideas", yes, hire you as a consultant on their sheepskin line, particularly their Irvin, I'm not joking

STEVE S.

John Lever said:
Well done Denny. I don't like this sort of outrage by proxy and automatic dislike of successful companies. Unfortunately it's a very British thing.

John, It's not just a British thing, same goes on over here. It's a worldwide "PC" thing & no matter what you do, someone somewhere is not going to like it & get the old panties twisted. Denny defended the talking points splendidly & kudos to Aero for having these boots & keeping a local business going! I might have to support the stance & buy a pair myself when the extra funds are in the acct!