• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Mc Coy New Zealand Rough Wear?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
they said sticking a big leather needle through the knit caused it to tear.

So you have to wonder .... how do they join the band to the jacket body, or the cuffs to the sleeves?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:
I can see on Ties, how tight that jacket is in the armhole region. In their A-2s, I find I need to go up almost two sizes from my U.S. suit jacket size.

Is that in general, Steve? Or just in the pre-war Rough Wear pattern?

bseal

In general, tried on their size 44 Dubow, beautiful A-2, and still needed to bounce up as well to at least at 46, but more likely a 48 (better fit in the shoulders by the way).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:
In general, tried on their size 44 Dubow, beautiful A-2, and still needed to bounce up as well to at least at 46, but more likely a 48 (better fit in the shoulders by the way).

Oh okay, my Dubows fit well at just one size up, but the RW are still too tight, and I end up between sizes.

Their Monarch is also a good fitting jacket.

Roughwear said:
Miles_Archer said:
Roughwear said:
I put on original slider with the pre-war rectangular pull on mine as some originals had this type of Talon zip. Others had a Crown like the 1401p and 23380 contracts.
Professor, some 1401p jackets had Crowns, some didn't. I saw two in the past six months with Talons original to the respective jackets.

Miles, you must have been mistaken-these were ELC jackets you saw! :lol:

Andrew, you continually post misinformation based on your limited experience with vintage flight jackets. Some of the things you declare as absolutes are frankly just plain wrong. While I am certain you have only the best intentions, it concerns me that a newcomer might read some of your bs and take it for gospel.

Roughwear

Miles, you must have been mistaken-these were ELC jackets you saw! :lol:[/quote]

Andrew, you continually post misinformation based on your limited experience with vintage flight jackets. Some of the things you declare as absolutes are frankly just plain wrong. While I am certain you have only the best intentions, it concerns me that a newcomer might read some of your bs and take it for gospel.[/quote]

Where's your sense of humour man! :lol:

atkins

rotenhahn said:
Gotta be honest with you- if you can wait for 90 days and can afford it the Goodwear Roughwear 27752 is far more accurate a copy of an A-2. I'm on vacation now but when I get back I'll post pics of my new one. It is dead on IMO. Just my 2 cents- John is making far and away the best COPIES at this point (which is what I want in a repro anyway). Get a 27752 in his new horsehide and you won't have to age, hot water, mold the collar or anything-- it'll look just right.

I told myself exactly something like that too, i just wish John will make a 23380, he said making a label would be very very expensive,and it might be a while to wait GW 23380. Any GW is marvelous, but i need a 23380. The twin label is something very special imho.

Regards,
Atkins

atkins

Jason said:
Yes, my RMCNZ Rough Wear repro is goatskin - and while it is thick, its not overly so - probably about G-1 thickness actually. It desperately needs more wear & breaking in time which I'm giving it now. The finish on it is less noticable due to the pebbly texture, but its still fairly shiny... in real life its about half way between the RMCNZ pic on the mannequin, versus my pictures, for both sheen and colour. Its definitely not as shiny or as orange as the mannequin pic, but not quite as dull or dark as my pics show... probably the close up of the collar & spec label of mine is as close to reality as you'll get.
Shame RMCNZ no longer offer russet goatskin as an option, I really like the colour, which is why I snapped up one of the last few remaining ones they had.

That's why Paddy sent me only super dark goatskin, it is almost black, but has grain that looks
superb.

Regards,
Atkins

Roughwear

atkins said:
rotenhahn said:
Gotta be honest with you- if you can wait for 90 days and can afford it the Goodwear Roughwear 27752 is far more accurate a copy of an A-2. I'm on vacation now but when I get back I'll post pics of my new one. It is dead on IMO. Just my 2 cents- John is making far and away the best COPIES at this point (which is what I want in a repro anyway). Get a 27752 in his new horsehide and you won't have to age, hot water, mold the collar or anything-- it'll look just right.

I told myself exactly something like that too, i just wish John will make a 23380, he said making a label would be very very expensive,and it might be a while to wait GW 23380. Any GW is marvelous, but i need a 23380. The twin label is something very special imho.

Regards,
Atkins

Good luck Atkins. Now I understand your interest in my original 23380. Perhaps John will make this jacket at some stage, but the label may be the issue.
:)

A

Anonymous

Mikey:
the one Aero refuse to reproduce because they say it'll tear the knit. Anyone here ever experience knit tearing due to that triangle?
I know it's kinda beating a dead horse but where do these people (Aero of Scotland) come up with this crap? Sweaters are often sewn together by machine- check out any Navy cob sweater. I've never seen this "problem" in real life but even if it was real wouldn't it be INACCURATE not to copy it? The originals had it- so should a copy! If I want a jacket for real use on an expedition or something I'll buy a North Face jacket or something. Spare me the "improvements" on a REPRODUCTION jacket thank you!!

sgbailey2002

Grant said:
Bseal,
The horsehide on your painted RMNZ looks amazing! Here's a photo of my old sz. 42 seal goat RMNZ RW. Really nice jacket but I eventually sold it back to the original owner as it was a bit small on me. Grant
sealrmnz.jpg

Glad to get the jacket back, broken in nicely. I have removed the painted patch, more to my liking.

SGB

atkins

rotenhahn said:

Rotenhahn, i would love to see your GW 27752!

atkins

Roughwear said:
atkins said:
rotenhahn said:

Regards,
Atkins

Good luck Atkins. Now I understand your interest in my original 23380. Perhaps John will make this jacket at some stage, but the label may be the issue.
:)

Andrew,
I remember John said, that 23380 is quite rare and his friend in England has one, i think it's you! :D.
Speaking of which, how do you describe the color of your original 23380 ? To me, It's more lighter Russet but not as dark as GW 27752's mahogany. Here's the Choc Russet Paddy offered me, is it close enough to your 23380 in terms of "browness"?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10077722@N02/2626985843/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10077722@N ... otostream/

Thanks,
Atkins

bseal

rotenhahn said:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gw ... ages1.html

Roughwear

Andrew,
I remember John said, that 23380 is quite rare and his friend in England has one, i think it's you! .
Speaking of which, how do you describe the color of your original 23380 ? To me, It's more lighter Russet but not as dark as GW 27752's mahogany. Here's the Choc Russet Paddy offered me, is it close enough to your 23380 in terms of "browness"?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10077722@N02/2626985843/

Thanks,
Atkins

Hi Atkins, My RW 23380 is darker than the russet one in your pics. It is similar to my original RW 27752, just a little lighter.

atkins

bseal said:
This one has super soft 3 oz. horsehide.

RN023.jpg

ScrumptiousA-2007.jpg

ScrumptiousA-2051.jpg

ScrumptiousA-2067.jpg

BSeal,

The super soft 3 oz. horsehide RMNZ Roughwear ,what color did they call it? I hope it's the Choc Russet as the one Paddy offered me. It looks exactly like my idea of "perfect brown".

Thanks in advance,

Atkins

bseal

As per Paddy, this is the chocolate russet.

A-2RWRussTr.jpg

A-2RWBkRussTr.jpg

This one is Scrumptious, pre-cheaterome.

A-21Hor.jpg

A23Hor-1.jpg